Author Topic: No birth registration details  (Read 5263 times)

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: No birth registration details
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 20:17 BST (UK) »
Good point Kia, but as a death can be registered at a registrar away from where it occurred, do the same rules apply to the rtegistration of births? One for Stan I think.
Unlike a birth, a death cannot be registered in another sub-district, other than the one in which it took place.
1874 Registration of Births and Deaths Act [37 & 38 Vict. Ch. 88.]
Clause 6. Registry of a birth out of the sub-district in case of removal.
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1874/pdf/ukpga_18740088_en.pdf
There is no such clause for the registration of a death.

Stan

Actually, in the information currently given to the bereaved after a death it states that information about the death can be given to ANY Register Office.
However, if this is not the correct Office for the location of the death the information will be forwarded to the correct Office and that Office will issue the death certificate.
So the death will always appear in the registers of the place where it occurred, even if the information was given elsewhere
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: No birth registration details
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 09:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for clarification Marmalady, the records I referred to were prior to 1874 under different rules however.
Coombs: I know of an incident at the National Archives where in subsequent conversation another researcher told me she had met with a denial that TNA held Militia Muster Records on the grounds that "They weren't proper regiments" I told her that I had used the documents concerned on more than one occassion, the last being some 6 weeks ago. So we need to be careful even there.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)