Author Topic: DNA testing - genetic genealogy  (Read 59962 times)

Offline Tisy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA testing - genetic genealogy
« Reply #207 on: Friday 11 February 11 02:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ceeoh,

Just one other thing;  if you are intending to eventually do more testing, say to 67 markers, it is cheaper to do the whole lot at once, i.e. go for the 67 marker test.  Just to give you some idea, we had 147 exact matches at 12 markers; at 25 markers (genetic distance 1) we had three people of the same name or variant;  at 25 markers (genetic distance 2) we had 14 matches (12 different surnames not including the one at 25 markers + 1);  at 37 markers (genetic distance 3) we had 3 matches (all the same as the 25 + 1 matches);  at 37 markers (genetic distance 4) we had one match of the same name, but a different person;

We then decided to do the 67 marker test, and hey presto - 1 good 63/67 match to the one person who we matched all the way through.    We also decided to go for the deep clade test to determine our exact subclade which is R1b1b2a1b4c1 (L20).  This person has also done the deep clade and has tested L20, as have a few others of the same name, but more distantly related.

The point I am trying to make is that you will get a far more accurate test at 67 markers if you are in the hg R1b;  however the difficulty is of course that you do not know this until you test!  We would have saved a fair few dollars if we had just gone for the 67 marker  test in the first place.

Carol

Offline DevonCruwys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: Friday 11 February 11 11:21 GMT (UK) »
For anyone with British ancestry even if there is no surname project you can test through a geographical project to get the discounted project pricing. I have put a full list of geographical projects on my blog:

http://cruwys.blogspot.com/2009/08/dna-projects-for-british-isles.html

There are also geographical projects so very few people would ever need to pay the full price.

Family Tree DNA normally have sales in July and December when the standard 37-marker test is usually on sale for US $ 119 and the 67-marker is also usually discounted.

The kits are also discounted at Who do you think you are? Live which is held at Olympia, London, at the end of February:

http://www.whodoyouthinkyouarelive.co.uk

Debbie
Researching: Ayshford, Berryman, Bodger, Boundy, Cruse, Cruwys, Dillon, Faithfull, Kennett, Keynes, Ratty, Tidbury, Trask, Westcott, Wiggins, Woolfenden.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: Friday 11 February 11 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Debbie, your earlier reply has clarified things for me. I intend having a 37 marker test at Olympia. In the past has the show been quieter on Friday or Saturday?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline DevonCruwys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: Friday 11 February 11 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Saturday was the busiest day last year. The doors were closed at one point late morning and they wouldn't let anyone else in. Friday was also very busy. Sunday is the quietest day. They've booked extra space at Olympia to allow for more people so the same problem should not arise this year.

Do come along and say hello on the ISOGG stand (no. 430 near the DNA workshop area). I'll be at WDYTYA all three days helping on the stand on and off. We have free FTDNA tests available for some surnames, though I haven't yet seen the full list. We'll have a big poster up on the stand with all the details.
Researching: Ayshford, Berryman, Bodger, Boundy, Cruse, Cruwys, Dillon, Faithfull, Kennett, Keynes, Ratty, Tidbury, Trask, Westcott, Wiggins, Woolfenden.

Offline Eleesavet

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: Saturday 12 February 11 07:03 GMT (UK) »
I enjoy reading the posts on this thread as I find DNA to be fascinating.  In 2010 I contacted a fellow researcher re a magazine article on DNA that he had written during or post 2007.  He kindly forward a copy of the article.  Of course, much will have been said since the article was written but I attach it as you too may find it interesting.

"Eventually anyone researching a family tree will run into a brick wall" by Donald and Margaret McArthur.

Regards.

Liz
Perthshire: MacArthur, Whittet, Mill (Milne), Alexander, Shaw, Pearson, Henderson, Rennie, Comrie, Braid, Ritchie, Roy, MacKillop, Keill, Cumming, Taylor, Marshall, Young, Miller, MacVicar, Murray, Cameron, Croll, Christie, Gloag, Gorrie, Stobbie, Lunnan, Thomson, Crerar, Hepburn.
Dundee: Mill (Milne).
Aberdeen: Mill (Milne).
Skye: MacIntosh, Stewart, MacQueen, Matheson, Morrison, Nicholson, MacLeod, Finlayson.
Peebles: Dickson, Sandilands, Rule, Johnstone.
Edinburgh: Thomson, Sandilands.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: Saturday 12 February 11 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Hmm.... I think the writers of that article make it sound a lot easier than the reality.

In reality, those who commit crimes are detected because they (or someone else in the family) has had a DNA sample taken after a crime was committed.  Since criminals coming from criminal families are not exactly unknown, the chances of a DNA sample eventually turning up are quite likely.  However, for the typical law-abiding citizen, the chances of finding someone else in their family who have paid a substantial sum to have a DNA test taken and stored in a database are substantially lower.

So, whilst I'm not disputing that DNA works, it only works if others have paid to have a DNA sample taken, and because it's not cheap, then the chances are low.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: Saturday 12 February 11 17:52 GMT (UK) »
See you there then, on the friday! What time do the doors open, and is there any real advantage in booking in advance?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline DevonCruwys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: Saturday 12 February 11 18:32 GMT (UK) »
The doors open at 10.00. It helps to get tickets in advance to avoid the queues, and I think it's usually cheaper. There are normally people queuing round the block waiting to get in. Last year on the Saturday some people without tickets were not allowed in until the crowds had subsided.

There are lots of offers around for two tickets for the price of one in the various FH magazines and with some of the big companies.

If you're going on your own then Ancestry have an offer on just for this weekend:

http://blogs.ancestry.com/uk/2011/02/11/who-do-you-think-you-are-live-the-big-match

Here are details of the full-price tickets.

http://www.whodoyouthinkyouarelive.co.uk/tickets

See you there on Friday!

Debbie

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: Saturday 12 February 11 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Debbie!