Author Topic: St Oswalds Parish records, Ashbourne  (Read 14580 times)

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
St Oswalds Parish records, Ashbourne
« on: Sunday 24 April 05 23:07 BST (UK) »
Does any one know if there is a publication or fiche or something for St Oswalds Parish church, Ashbourne.  I desperately need to find out about my Henry Jones. I have posted on here and everywhere. I have searched for Henry and sales of Parish records. All to no avail.

If there is nothing that could be bought. Are the parish records available in a library to view?? Or are they locked away.  I have tried every site possible to find something out. I need some hope put back into my search. There is nothing on the BVRI.

All the best Angela.

Offline moiramount

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: St Oswalds Parish records, Ashbourne
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 April 05 23:53 BST (UK) »
can you give me details of henry jones anjo & what you are looking for.

moira
mounts/kent
rice/boteler-west ham essex
grigor/sutherland/davidson-scotland
widdowson-derbyshire/yorkshire

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 April 05 00:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Moira,

Henry Jones was born abt 1811 in Ashbourne, Derbyshire. I have him on all the census from 1841 to 1881.

He married in 12 May 1832 in St Oswalds, Ashbourne.

He lived all his life on Kings st, Ashbourne. there are quite a few other families of Jones on King st and I feel that they are all related. I can only find chr records for two of them Thomas Jones 1814 and Richard Jones 1823. The other boys are Ralph 1803, and John 1809, I have scince found on the 1871 a Joseph Jones born Ashbourne abt 1801. Living in Newark Notts.

They all reared their families in Ashbourne and mainly stayed on King st. Thomas and Richards parents were given as Ralph Jones and Lydia Tomlinson. I did wonder if this could have been Ralphs second marriage. But I can't find anything to support that theory. It is very fustrating. Their is a strong Jones line in Ashbourne going back to the 1600's but I am just missing this link.  I bought the MI's for St Oswalds but none of my Jones invested in headstones. So that was a waste of time. I need to see the parish records. But don't know how to get my hands on them. I don't live in England nither.

So there is the story of my Jones so far.

Any suggestions Moira. I could do with some.

Angela.

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 April 05 00:13 BST (UK) »
I have now found on the 1841 census for King st, Ashbourne. Lydia Jones 68 living with Elizabeth Hand 42 and Joseph Hand 20. all born in county. If Elizabeth turns out to be a Jones then I have a sister to the boys.

Angela.

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 April 05 00:20 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Jones married John Hand 12 Jul 1818 St Oswalds, Ashbourne, Derbyshire. So was she Lydia's daughter or step daughter.

Angela.

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 April 05 00:41 BST (UK) »
At last I have found the marriage of Ralph and Lydia Tomlinson.

They were married 5 Nov 1792 St Oswalds, Ashbourne. Just need to find the boys chr/births to tie them all together.

Does anyone out there know anything about how to get a look at the parish records of St Oswalds????????

All the best Angela.

Offline bagpuss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 April 05 02:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Angela,

The Church records for the whole of Derbyshire are kept at County Hall in Matlock.  I have included this link which will tel lyou more.  There is a search facility available but it's not cheap!  Still if you are unable to get yourself and are desperate it is worth considering.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Archives/index.html

Best of luck
Sue
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Wilson - Coleorton Leicesershire/ Swadlincote Derbyshire.
Bundy - Ross Herefordshire/ Birmingham
Dugdale - Isle of Man

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 April 05 09:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link Sue,

I have just emailed them and Hopefully they might give me some answers to this.  I appreciate you giving me that link.

All the best Angela.

Offline flame

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 May 05 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Anjo
Have you tried this site. I did put it up for someone else only a few days ago. www.ashbourne-town.com My ancester also married in st oswalds church. Hope you find it interesting.
flame
Wright, Stevens, Whitworth, Burn, Craven