Author Topic: Ballentine - Ballymena and Belfast  (Read 2991 times)

Offline LindaBoyle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ballentine - Ballymena and Belfast
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 November 23 21:37 GMT (UK) »
IAM researching my Grandfather Thomas Ballentine 24 April 1874 he lived in Larne on his marriage certificate his father was Daniel Ballentine but I can't find who his family was or where they were from would anyone help thanks Linda

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 November 23 22:57 GMT (UK) »

IAM researching my Grandfather Thomas Ballentine 24 April 1874 he lived in Larne on his marriage certificate his father was Daniel Ballentine but I can't find who his family was or where they were from would anyone help thanks Linda

So just to check, are you enquiring about the following Thomas with his first wife Margaret Armstrong in 1901?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Larne/Rope_Walk_Lane/996497/

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1896/10497/5823034.pdf (marriage)

And with second wife Maria Hull in 1911?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Larne/Drummond/195402/

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1903/10243/5728063.pdf (marriage)

The obvious candidate for Thomas' father is the Daniel Ballentine who as a bachelor married Agnes Ferris in December 1878, but everything points towards Thomas being born before this marriage, so could that mean an illegitimate birth registered under the mother (ie. under an unknown surname)?

Where did you get the exact date of 24 April 1874 from?

Offline LindaBoyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 November 23 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks in all the census his birth year is 1874 I was told his birthday was 24 th April years ago but didn't know the date my granny was his 3 rd wife Margaret Jane Magee from Larne I can't find anything about him or where he came from or his parents or family I seen on your site someone ages ago was searching Ballentine and Ferris and hoped this was a connection thanks Linda

Offline LindaBoyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 November 23 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Would you have the marriage certificate for Thomas Ballentine and my granny Maggie Jane Magee thanks

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 November 23 10:11 GMT (UK) »

...in all the census his birth year is 1874..

In the 1901 census, as quoted by gaffy (reply #10), his birth year was c1877.

Would you have the marriage certificate for Thomas Ballentine and my granny Maggie Jane Magee...

According to GRONI online (https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/), this was the marriage-

Thomas Ballantyne      Magee          3rd October 1923       Larne

Margt. Magee            Ballantyne       3rd October 1923       Larne

For 1922 and later you need to check GRONI's database but births less than 100 years old, marriages less than 75 years and deaths less than 50 years will not be available online there.

You can register on GRONI (free) then purchase a few credits to do full searches, view certificates, etc. It costs £2.50 (sterling) to view a certificate.

Good luck  :)

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline LindaBoyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 November 23 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 21 November 23 17:10 GMT (UK) »

... I seen on your site someone ages ago was searching Ballentine and Ferris and hoped this was a connection thanks Linda

I think there may well be a connection to Daniel Ballentine, but not to Agnes Ferris.  The reality is that the forename / surname combination of Daniel Ballentine (and spelling variants) was exceedingly rare, for example, there were only 3 of them in the whole of the 1901 Ireland census.  Factor in that Thomas consistently described his father as a carpenter, and the Daniel Ballentine of Larne who married Agnes Ferris of Larne in 1878 (they only later moved to Belfast) looks like a very strong possibility as the father of Thomas. 

Daniel Ballentine was around 27 years old when he married Agnes, she was a good bit younger (I'm suspicious of her 'full' age in the 1878 marriage record).  I checked for an illegitimate son named Thomas Ferris or 'Unnamed' Ferris born to Agnes before that 1878 marriage and couldn't find one. Which leaves open the possibility that Daniel had a son Thomas with another woman before his first marriage in 1878, the problem of course being that without knowing the woman's surname, how do you find the birth (which it would be registered under) or know for certain that it's him if you do find a possible birth?

I also checked newspapers for any leads on Thomas.  What little there was related to him, for example the death notices for his 3rd wife Margaret Jane in 1977, for Thomas himself in 1961 and for his second wife Maria in 1923 (as well as the newspaper coverage of her death at Drummond Street in Larne, due to drinking methylated spirits) didn't offer up any clues.

Offline LindaBoyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 21 November 23 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks he probably had a different mother I have been searching for a birth certificate or anything about him but never found anything don't know where he came from or about his family

Offline LindaBoyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 26 November 23 08:56 GMT (UK) »
I would like to find out if poss if Daniel Ballentine was my grandfathers parent it looks like my Granda Thomas Ballentine was born 1877 don't know where as he married 3 times it gives Billy Bushmills for 1 st marriage and Larne for his other 2 marriages he lived in Larne until he died 1961