Author Topic: Rodger/Roger Owen, born c1789 Machynileth  (Read 2615 times)

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rodger/Roger Owen, born c1789 Machynileth
« on: Saturday 30 April 11 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hello!
I'd be extremely grateful for any help tracing info. about -- especially parents and siblings of -- the above: my great, great grandfather.
What I presently know (thanks to very helpful postings elsewhere on this site) is that he married Anne, daughter of Thomas Davies of Inverness, in Preston, Lancashire on 2nd April 1832 -- at which time he is described as a widower.  What brought him (and Anne, then aged about 30) to Lancashire is a complete mystery.  They had 3 children: Eliza, born 1833 and Owen Davies, born 1835 -- both in England; and Roger Jones Owen, born in 1841 in Ayr, Scotland. (Would dearly love to know why he moved around so much!) Scottish censuses of 1851 and 1861 describe his occupation as 'teacher of penmanship' and 'teacher of caligraphy; but his daughter's marrriage certificate of 1879 gives her (then deceased) father's occupation as 'attorney'!  (Did he perhaps work in attorneys' offices, teaching the type of penmanship required to write legal documents, and his daughter perhaps not quite understand what he did?)
This is my first posting -- just joined today!
ANY help anyone can give would be very much appreciated.
PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rodger/Roger Owen, born c1789 Machynileth
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 May 11 17:03 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!  ;D

I've just checked his death registration on Scotland's People to see if the names of  his parents are there, but they're not. But I did notice that his middle was Jones, so I wondered about this extracted baptism from IGI batch C090701 for Machynlleth

Roger born 5/6/1788, bp 7/6/1788 son of John Owen & Elizabeth Jones

Where did you find the reference to Thomas Davies being from Inverness? The 1861 & 1871 give Anne's place of birth as Ruabon, although the 1871 does have Ruabon, Shropshire when it's in Denbighshire

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/DEN/Ruabon/

By the way, it's not unusual for people to exaggerate the occupation of their father on marriage certificates.

::)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 May 11 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hello, Osprey!

Thank you so much for your trouble in looking this up for me.  I do think this baptism record looks extremely promising.  I calculated Roger's birth year from census records and it certainly could have been 1788.  The use of the name "Jones" (the mother's maiden name, here) as middle name of his youngest son would, as you say, also seem to support that this is him -- especially as his oldest son was given HIS mother's (ie Roger's wife's) maiden name, Davies, as HIS middle name. 

I agree that Anne was born in North Wales; but it seems that, by the time of her wedding, her family had upped sticks and moved to Inverness; and that is where they were living in 1932.  Anne's father, Thomas, was an engineer  and likely was the Thomas Davies who assisted Telford in building the Caledonian Canal!  (This information gained courtesy of another RootsChat poster -- in posts on the  Inverness board in January through May 2010).

Once again, many thanks for your kind assistance, Osprey.  :)  It is very much appreciated.
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 May 11 22:03 BST (UK) »
oooops!  sorry -- I meant 1832, of course; not 1932!