Author Topic: Willans in Lancs - help with ID people in photo  (Read 2731 times)

Offline Westby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Willans in Lancs - help with ID people in photo
« on: Sunday 01 May 11 00:49 BST (UK) »
I am related to Willans who lived in Westmorland/Lancashire/Yorkshire particularly around Tunstall, Leck, Sedbergh, Casterton.  They ran the Whoop Hall (aka Uphall) Inn in Burrow with Burrow for most of 19th century.

I'm looking for help with identifying the people in this photo. I don't have the original, so no way of dating, but a handwritten note on the back says "The Willan girls with their mother, sister of Margaret Bayley (nee Willan)... lived on a farm in the Lakes District which later became part of Lancashire"

Margaret Bayley had three sisters, but I think the most likely is Elizabeth Moore (b 1851) who married Robert Moore and lived in Marton, Lancs.  She had 2 daughters (Eleanor 1886 and Mary 1892) and 2 stepdaughters (Jane 1877 and Rebecca  1880)

I’ll really appreciate hearing from anyone who can help.

Regards
Bayley family of Westmorland (Casterton/Kirkby Lonsdale) and Lancashire (Barton, Birkdale) during the period 1750 - 1911.
Willan family of Westmorland and Lancashire.
Easthope family - mostly Gloucestershire/London
Jeffords

Offline BSBS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Willans in Lancs - help with ID people in photo
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 January 12 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I cannot identify people in your picture, however, the name Willan comes up in my research. My great grandfather was Andrew Turner and he married Ruth Willan. I presume the marriage took place some time around 1879 as their children where born after that (Thomas 1879, William 1881, Mark (my grandfather) 1883, Septimus 1889, John 1894 and then 3 girls Sara, Caroline and May). They where born in Shap, Orton and Hardendale. If anyone can help with any information on either Ruth Willan or Andrew Turner, it would be greatly appreciated.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 January 12 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to rootschat  :)

From Freebmd   http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl
Marriages September qtr 1879   
Thompson  John   
Turner  Andrew     
Willan  Ruth     

Wilson  Dorothy     
W. Ward reg district ref 10b 757

I see from your other post you already have information on this family http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,574117.0/topicseen.html
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 January 12 16:42 GMT (UK) »
1869 ...........all in Lytham - Preston register
Robert Moore to Magdaline Cardwell
1871 Robert Moore - MMN Cardwell
1873 John Moore - MMN Cardwell
1877 Jane Moore - MMN Cardwell
1880 Rebecca Moore MMN Cardwell

1884 Magdaline Moore death - Lytham - Preston

1886 Robert Moore to Elizabeth Willan at St Nicholas ,Wrea Grean ,Ribby
is this a village the Willan family lived in at one stage ?
1887 Eleanor Moore - MMN Willan - Lytham - Preston register
1888 Richard Herbert Moore - MMN Willan - Lytham
1891 Robert Moore - MMN Willan -Lytham
1892 May Magdalen MMN Willan - Lytham
so....it looks like young Robert Moore died and the one b 1891 was named after him ...and Mary was actually May Magdelen....I think there is 4 children you didn`t have ...all these records and certificates are available to view on
www.lancashirebmd.org.uk   as it`s Lytham it may be worth looking for family on
www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html  I will have a browse for Wilan /Willan / Moore in Lytham
allan ;)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford