Author Topic: ZULU CHARLES LORD - Help!!!!  (Read 10328 times)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: ZULU CHARLES LORD - Help!!!!
« Reply #18 on: Monday 02 May 11 05:00 BST (UK) »
Onboard the hospital ship Dreadnought in the 1841 census ,Greenwich,

there is a 15 year old William Lord,apprentice born in county,

HO107/489/19
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 02 May 11 07:33 BST (UK) »
National Archives has Royal Marines attestation and discharge papers for a Samuel Lord  of the right age:

Samuel Lord, born: Manchester, Lancashire; Age at attestation: 18; Attested: Woolwich; Joined in: 1818; Discharge reason: Served 21 years; Discharge year: 1839.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATLN=7&CATID=-5509759&j=1
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 02 May 11 10:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for the information ,saves the gentleman paying to down load, I knew there was information in there but  for some reason I find the National archives site difficult to use,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline zulucharles

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 02 May 11 13:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks once again for the information on Samuel.
Is there anyway I can purchase or download his actual Marine military record? - so that I can determine regiments,  where he operated, rank obtained etc??

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 02 May 11 17:29 BST (UK) »
I am not sure what will be in his records ,but as I said the national archives UK have some information,you just have to determine if it is him,before you pay to down load,there is also a site for the Greenwich pensioners ,I am not again sure what you will find there but he obviously had a pension coming in to state he was one.We will keep chipping away ,others coming across your posting may find some thing else of interest.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 02 May 11 18:38 BST (UK) »
Ordinarily you can order, online, a copy of a record held by the National Archives but the service is closed today. Try it tomorrow. From memory you specify what you are interested in and they come back to you by email with a quote.

The archive reference you need for the Marine born circa 1800 is ADM 157/674/3

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/recordcopying/
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 02 May 11 20:44 BST (UK) »
Some Chelsea Pensioner Papers and Service records are on www.findmypast.co.uk

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 05 May 11 12:53 BST (UK) »
In 1861 there is a Samuel Lord, 19, born Manchester, at Woolwich as a soldier at the Royal Artillery Barracks.

He matches your Charles's brother from the 1851 pretty well.

Eldest brother William appears to have married Ann (Waterhouse in 1857?) and has a baby son Frederick William at Ardwick in 1861 (RG9/2870 ED13 FOL57 P12).

I have not located other family members yet. Charles S would have been about 11 - not old enough to join up, so they HAVE to be around somewhere.

The RA were definitely active in the Zulu War. I wonder if Charles joined the same regiment as Samuel junior?
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 05 May 11 13:13 BST (UK) »
1871 census Leigh,Lancashire,
33 St Thomas Street,
RG10,3912

lodging with

Thomas Sharrock ,a boilermaker
Elizabeth Lord a widow born Nottingham,Dressmaker
Thomas aged 20 born Manchester ,a boiler maker,

It's not very clear, but I reckon RG10/3912 ED7 FOL12 P16 reads:

Thomas Sharrock, Head, Mar, 29, Boiler maker, Lancashire Liverpool
Elizabeth Lord, Lodger, Widow, 59, Seamstress, Nottinghamshire Carlton
CHARLES Lord, Lodger, 20, Boiler maker, Lancashire Manchester

Still no sign in 1861.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.