Author Topic: ZULU CHARLES LORD - Help!!!!  (Read 10330 times)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: ZULU CHARLES LORD - Help!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 May 11 06:59 BST (UK) »
1901 census,Manchester,Gorton Ardwick Manchester
RG13/3686
9 Harvest Street,
William Ingham,aged 24, wood packing cure maker
Hannah J Ingham,aged 21
Cecilia Ingham,aged 10 months
Cecilia Lord,aged 25, sister ,married,hankerchief machinist crossed over by shirt maker,
Charles S Lord aged 3,nephew,Born Rushton

all  the rest born Manchester,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 May 11 07:02 BST (UK) »
aha...the marriage..
1st march 1835 at Saint Mary Magdelene  Woolwich,Kent - Samuel Lord to Elizabeth Smith   Extracted record
www.familysearch.org
fits nicely with the birth of William Lord aged 16 in Woolwich,Kent in the 1851 census
allan :)
just seen your post Radcliff...great...ha ha...I got it wrong...Cecilia ...so it was the Blackburn marriage...
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 May 11 07:10 BST (UK) »
So
Charles Shuter Lord born 1897 Great Harwood- father Charles Shooter Lord / mother Cecilia Ingham
Charles Shooter Lord b 1850 Ardwick,Manchester father Samuel Lord / mother Elizabeth Smith
Samuel Lord married Elizabeth Smith 1st March 1835 St Mary Magdelen ,Woolwich,Kent
now...Samuel Lord born 1799/1800 Manchester...lets see if we can find him
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 May 11 07:16 BST (UK) »
familysearch   1797 to 1802 ...only one in Manchester
8th december 1799 at Manchester Cathedral  the christening of Samuel Lord ....ggrrr...no parents named
extracted record
allan

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 01 May 11 07:17 BST (UK) »
Nobody seems to have mentioned the possibility that one of your guys fought in the Zulu war (including Rorke's Drift) - South Africa 1879

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline zulucharles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 01 May 11 14:45 BST (UK) »
Folks,
Thanks for the effort so far. Unfortunately I am getting lost trying to understand all the posts.
One sent recently by Garnosite stated
" Charles Shooter Lord b 1850 Ardwick,Manchester father Samuel Lord / mother Elizabeth Smith
Samuel Lord married Elizabeth Smith 1st March 1835 St Mary Magdelen ,Woolwich,Kent"
This makes sense with what I already know from Oz records. The 1901 marriage documents in Bingara,NSW between Zulu Charles Shouter Lord (aged 51 from Manchester England,) and Elizabeth Legg ( aged 44 from Paterson NSW) stated father of Zulu was a Samuel Lord (deceased), and listed fathers occupation as  Sgt Major, Marines. Zulus mother was listed as Elizabeth Smith (deceased).
With what I have seen in your helpful posts it would appear that the above text from Garnosite is correct but  I cannot fathom the Sgt Major, Marines part. I thought maybe Samuel was in a branch of the UK military. Again something that I have been unable to trace from Oz. Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 01 May 11 21:03 BST (UK) »
Samuel is a Greenwich pensioner,so you need to look that up,he has served in the forces and been in active service some where,

If you are getting lost with the posts print them of and read them again,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 01 May 11 21:32 BST (UK) »
The National archives have a document that may relate to Samuel,
Admiralty,Royal navy continuous service engagement books

Name Samuel Lord,
Place of birth ,Manchester,

Date of volunteering 2ND of April 1863,
Continuous service number,12383A,
 Catalogue, Adm 139/524

Just google the site and use the search box,
you can pay on line and down load ,

Offline zulucharles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 02 May 11 03:44 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to all for the information provided.
Radcliff - I will check out the Greenwich pensioner item. At this stage I will not check the Admiralty records showing a Samuel Lord volunteering in 1863. That would have made him at least 50-55yrs old when that happened following his marriage in 1835 to Elizabeth.
I now believe that the son, Charles S Lord, was born 1850 in Ardwick, Manchester. He married a Mary Hemmings in 1892 in Oz (no children) and she died in 1900. He then married Elizabeth Legg as Zulu Charles Shouter Lord in 1901 in Oz and they had a child registered as Zulu Charles Shouter Lord in 1903.
There is a gap in my knowledge from Charles's birth in 1850 till his marriage in Oz in 1892.
Are there any record of a Charles S Lord in the UK military between 1860 and 1892  as he would have been about 20-30yrs old around the time of the South African/Zulu wars?
Any other suggestions would be appreciated?