Author Topic: Too many lies??  (Read 12843 times)

Offline siouxie366

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Too many lies??
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 May 11 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Andy,
Thank you for that information.
I did try to look at the FindMyPast list, several times, but the information I wanted was on the one page that wouldn't load!
I have a copy of the Ocean Arrivals Form for the Athenia, and I did see that he stated he had been to the USA in 1908, but haven't been able to find any further information.
Harry's third family in the USA have as little information as I have and can shed no light on his family in the UK.  It seems that every time he moved, married or needed to fill out any documentation his "family history" changed.
If that is indeed his family you have quoted I wonder when - and why - he changed his name to Belmont!!
Thank you again for your interest and help
Siouxie

Offline siouxie366

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 May 11 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Redroger,
Thank you for that gem re "Belmont" and it may be the answer to the question I left with Andy.
I can think of no railway connection, he always gave his profession as either Private Chauffeur or Motor Mechanic.
I have to say that, although very frustrated with this man, I did have to laugh about the signal box!  He was certainly in the army under the name of Belmont, how did he get away with it?
Siouxie

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 May 11 20:05 BST (UK) »
The direct answer Siouxie is that they were so short of men there was no checking done. If you were big enough to shoot and be shot at you were enlisted. My father's experience highlights the point, at the outbreak of WW1, Dad, a 15 year old orphaned farm servant tried to enlist. He gave his age as 15, and was refused. However, the sergeant told him, we shall be back here next April if it's still going, (remember it was supposed to be over before Christmas 1914) Come back then only don't be 16. Dad put his age up three years and enlisted. An unintended result was he voted illegally in the 1919 election aged 20.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 18:54 BST (UK) »
Andy's find looks to be correct as this seems to be the christening of that Harry
https://www.familysearch.org/search/recordDetails/show?uri=https://api.familysearch.org/records/pal:/MM9.1.r/9WDT-XYH/p1

siouxie366   I think it is amazing that you have found out so much to begin with... My hubby's Grandfather's second family only just found out when they saw a ww1 photo of him that I had posted online...It matched her Grandfather's name & photo...He hadn't bothered changing his name, and was even close enough for the first wife to find out when he'd died, as she got the widow's pension! Poor gals...both had four children. What is in the heads of these men... ( nevermind, I probably know the answer...)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 19:07 BST (UK) »
What is in the heads of these men... ( nevermind, I probably know the answer...)

Same thing as makes us drive fast cars, drink too much beer etc.etc.etc. when we are under age. Testosterone, afraid the cure is worse than the illness ;)
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 19:20 BST (UK) »
You've brought up a good point roger, as I was just checking the passengers coming in as home children...
If he says he came to Canada via the u.s. in 1908 would he not have been around 12? But there were no Belmonts and only one H  Ford who was 11 but came in 1904...did make me jump, tho!!
The reason I looked was it is not unusual for some rejected children to change their birth parent's names as well...& thought he may have been posted with a Belmont...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline siouxie366

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 19:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you JJ and Red Roger for your posts on this thread.  I will have a look at the reference given. 
JJ, I, too, found a photograph on one of the sites that was basically an obituary posted by the husband of one of Harry's descendants.  As soon as I saw it I 'just knew' he was the man I had been looking for as the resemblance to my father was uncanny.  I emailed the poster and eventually was put in touch with two 'half aunts' living in the US.  They were able to fill in some of the detail following Harry's move to the US.  We have exchanged photographs and information, which was brilliant.  I understand from them that they weren't terribly surprised to discover his previous marriages, (my Grandmother was number two on the list).  I have half an idea that he was still married to wife number one when he married in the US.  I would have liked to have known what had happened to Jessie, but picking up her trail from all that time ago was a bit of a non-starter.  I think Jessie was the one I felt most sorry for, losing her son at an early age and then Harry "re-marrying" within a few weeks of that child dying.
Yes, I too wonder why some men walked down that particular path.
Thank you again to all who have replied and have offered help in this "quest",
Regards to all
Siouxie

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 20:23 BST (UK) »
He must have slipped up somewhere along the line to have an Elizabeth Ford as his mother at the 3rd wedding, but at death she's become Rona Garner.  Must have been hard to keep one's head when it's that full of lies. yes, I'd imagine both marriages were bigamous...Didn't seem to be a big chase down of these men...so likely nobody few bothered to file suit....

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 21:52 BST (UK) »
oops repeated, so sorry....since I made this reply...I'll add that hubby's Gfather was a blighter as well as he stole from the second wife...and also had some more than shady jobs post war which were only described as such...