Author Topic: Looking for Searles  (Read 6573 times)

Offline jericho

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Looking for Searles
« on: Monday 25 April 05 05:48 BST (UK) »
Does any one have any links to the Searles family, in
the West Ham Essex area.I would appreciate any help that is available.
Samuel Searles born abt 1824 and his brother Henry born abt 1825 in Bishop Stortford Essex.[Parents unknown]
Samuel married Mary? don't know when can't find it on freeBDM.
Henry married [unknown]
On the 1871 census Samuel was living at 4 Emily St, West Ham with wife and son.
His brother Henry is also at the same address and he appears to be married.
Samuel died Mar qtr 1875 at West Ham age 51
In the 1881 census Mary and two sons are still  living at 4 Emily St, but the spelling of the name has changed to Sales.
Mary died in the Sept qtr 1883 age 58.
I think Henry may have died abt 1873.
Any help would be most appreciated. 
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline joker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Searles
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 September 05 05:32 BST (UK) »
THere is a Henry Searles, born 1825, son of Thomas Searles and  Sarah Willers of Essex.....don't see a brother Samuel, but that doesnt mean much!. Try Thomas and Sarah in your research.
Joker
CARNALL of Derbyshire & Leicester; WARD & ADAMS of Buckinghamshire; MELLOR of Leicester; DUNLOP, ROBINSON, McCOY of Northern Ireland; PRATT, CHAMBERS, VANES and CARNAHAN of Ireland...and New Zealand.

Offline jericho

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 September 05 06:02 BST (UK) »
Hi joker
Thanks for reply to my post, since it was posted I have found Samuel's Parents they were Henry Searles born Felstead Essex abt 1793-1798 and in 1820 he married Mary Wright. Was actually hoping to tie Thomas Searles and Sarah Willers to my Henry born 1793, but as you mentioned they had a Henry in 1825, some of their other children had similar christain names and in this Searles family  names keep coming up in each generation.
Oh well will just have to keep looking.Thanks again
regards
jericho

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 September 05 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi jericho,
Noticed your Searles post, I have a Henry Searles born circa 1825 who is believed to be the son of Thomas Searles and Sophia Fewell, Thomas and Sophia married in 1809 at Gt Waltham.

Thomas Searles and Sarah Willers, parents of Thomas above, also named a son Henry who was baptised 19 Feb 1797 at Felsted.

Sorry I can't be more specific about Henry 1825 but I got his marriage from a fellow researcher and have yet to find his baptism. 
Thomas & Sophia and Thomas & Sarah are my ancestors.
Hope this info helps a little.
Regards
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jericho

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 September 05 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi findem

I'm  wondering if it is possible for you to give me a little more information on Henry Searles baptised 17 Feb 1797, as this just maybe my Henry.Thanks.

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 September 05 01:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Jericho,
Sorry but what I gave you is all I have on Henry himself, not being an ancestor, I haven't yet looked for a marriage or burial for him.  As I only get to visit the UK and the ERO every second year I concentrate on finding ancestors and siblings, I don't follow up on marriages and burials of siblings, unless I need to. 

I found 10 children for Thomas and Sarah (parents of 1897 Henry), all baptised at Felsted.  The first 5 were baptised as Serle and the remaining 5 as Searle, the names in date order are: John, Thomas, William, Elizabeth, Samuel, Henry, Sarah, Mira, Mary & Febey (Phoebe).

Thomas Serle and Sarah Willers were married 26 Apr 1785 at Felsted.

I note you have 17 Feb 1797 for Henry whereas I have 19 Feb 1797, how sure are you it is the 17th?  I'm not suggesting you are wrong it could well be me, it might be I need to recheck it next visit.

By the way there is something I forgot to mention in my previous reply.  Thomas and Sophia Searles who I think are the parents of the 1825 Henry, named a son Samuel who was baptised 23 Sep 1810 at Great Waltham.

Regards.

Offline jericho

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 September 05 01:57 BST (UK) »
hi findem

Looking at the children's names you have given me makes he want to claim this Henry,my Henry married in 1820 in Sawbridge to Mary Wright. And in 1841 they are living in Bishop Stortford with their children James,Samuel,Henry,John,Sarah,George,
William,Thomas and Phoebe and then two years later they have another son Frederick.By 1861 most of the children were living in West Ham Essex.
So who knows there very well maybe a connection.

jericho

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 September 05 02:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Jericho,
Glad to be of help, once you feel confident that the 1797 Henry is your ancestor let me know.  Off the top of my head there are four others who descend from Thomas Searles and Sophia Fewell, three are in the UK and one in NSW.  At that time if you wish I'll obtain permission to give you their email addresses and you can make yourself known to them.  One of them will be happy to receive your tree, he has done a lot of work on the Essex Searles and has added my line to theThomas and Sophia line.  The person in NSW is not "computerised" but I do have a postal address.

You will find it interesting to look at the Fewell posts on this board, there are a lot of posts from those who have Sophia Fewell as an ancestor or link to her.   Although there is a deathly hush on the Fewell topics at the moment there has been a heck of a lot of posts.

Regards. 

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 September 05 00:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Jericho,
Have had a good look and think about the info you sent in the PM, if as you say the census stated Henry Searles was born circa 1797 at Felsted, it looks good for a link with my lot.

Which census gave you Henry's age and birthplace?

I have sent a copy of your PM to three of the "Searles mob" and called for comments, looking forward to hear what their collective thoughts are.

Regards.