Author Topic: Cleckheaton Victoria Prize Band  (Read 3812 times)

Offline 49hyva

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cleckheaton Victoria Prize Band
« on: Monday 02 May 11 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hi
Can anybody shed some light on this for me please?

My grandfather played the cornet in brass/silver bands during his younger years (he later became a conductor). His name was Roderick John Macdonnell (b1876), and he lived in Heckmondwike around 1906-1911. I am trying to find out which band(s) he may have played in at that time.

I have already been in contact with several people connected to brass/silver bands in Yorkshire, without any positive results. However, one of them did provide me with a photo (press cutting dated 1911) of the Cleckheaton Victoria Prize Band, and I think my grandfather may be one of the people in the photo. We are not 100% sure it's him, as we only have photos of him in later life, but there is a definite resemblance and the area and date are about right.

Does anyone have any information about this particular band? I have attached the photo, and indicated the person. He appears to be wearing a slightly different uniform to the others, so is he actually a member of the band?

Thanks
Rich

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cleckheaton Victoria Prize Band
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 May 11 23:22 BST (UK) »
Rich
The Spenborough Guardian is on Fiche at Cleckheaton library...are you local to visit? I will be there sometime this week and able to have a look in their local section.
There is also the Spen Valley Advertiser that covers Heckmondwike.

The Prospect Hall is still there..its a hotel now.

Ady :)
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline 49hyva

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 14:20 BST (UK) »
Rich
The Spenborough Guardian is on Fiche at Cleckheaton library...are you local to visit? I will be there sometime this week and able to have a look in their local section.
There is also the Spen Valley Advertiser that covers Heckmondwike.

The Prospect Hall is still there..its a hotel now.

Ady :)

Hi Ady
Appreciate your help. Unfortunately I don't live locally - I'm in Gloucestershire. I have made a note of the newspaper names however, and I will try contacting them directly.
Just a thought - are there any local museums you can suggest, that may have brass band connections?

Thanks
Rich

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 11:21 BST (UK) »
Rich
I havent had time to go check the fiche due to work However I had a quick look in the card References of the Spen Valley Historical Society in Cleckheaton Library and there is one reference to a couple of pages in a book by Mason but I couldnt see it on the shelf.
No doubt there will be photos in either the Spen Guardian or Cleckheaton And Spen Valley Advertiser
http://brassbandresults.co.uk/mobile/bands/cleckheaton-victoria/

Some of those guys I have no doubt researched in my Spen Valley Great War stuff!

I am unable to get back down now for over a week but will get there eventually.

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 August 11 18:01 BST (UK) »
Found another report in guardian today which mentioned the funeral of former member of Victoria Brass Band Cleckheaton
Names mentioned were:Ephraim Brook,Hugh Witham,Fred Corry,J Priestley,D Marks,S Marsland,Aked Haley,A Beaumont,Herbert Garside,JE Womersley

Newspaper was Nov 1918

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)