Author Topic: COMPLETE MANY THANKS Where can I access information on W.S. c 1830's  (Read 2807 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Where can I access information on W.S. c 1830's
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzilad

Not making any progress for you with these names  :-\

I did find a William Wilkinson Messiah based in Midlothian from late 1830s-59. He was from Barbados and I think his family owned the Strong Hope Plantation there, which he inherited in later years. He remarried in Scotland, an Agnes Young, and lived in later years in Crammond, showing as a farmer there. His Will shows on SP. However, I think his parents were a William Wilkinson Messiah and Dorothy (see www.rootschat.com/links/0d2f/ - some Barbados MIs, possibly for his parents).

Failing am I  :P

Have you got anywhere as yet of following up on Robert Laurie and a possible Will or death for him?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,
                Have never been able to find a death for Robert but have now pinned it down to  between 1838-1841 he is in Grays Almanac 52, Charlotte Street Leith in 37/38 but not after in 1841 census Rachel is still living in Charlotte Street and of independent means.None of the family made a career in law .
No wills on SP only one for a William Laurie a Writer dated  1837 - in Portobello which is about 2 miles from Leith where Robert lived wonder if they might have got the name wrong none for Rachel.

Suzilad

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 22:16 BST (UK) »
where would  I be able  find more information on him?

There is a book called something like The Register of Members of the Society of Writers to his/her Majesty's Signet of which I have a copy at home. It usually tells you the date of death and a brief biography. If you can contain your curiosity until I get home in a few days I'll look him up for you.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 May 11 23:10 BST (UK) »
I've looked in the Register of the Society of Writers to Her Majesty's Signet and the only listed Robert Laurie or Lawrie was born 5 June 1909, so he obviously isn't your one.

What was the source you found that said he was a WS?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 May 11 12:36 BST (UK) »
It was on his daughters birth and marriages in OPR's he is also in PO directory for Leith as a solicitor

Thanks for looking .

Suzilad

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 07 May 11 18:00 BST (UK) »
Interesting, thank you.