Author Topic: St Peters Machynlleth MI  (Read 11576 times)

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Peters Machynlleth MI
« on: Tuesday 03 May 11 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Could anyone advise whether MI for St Peters Churchyard, Machynlleth is available on net or CD?

I am trying to establish identity of a James Henderson who was killed in Abermule train accident and is buried there with his employer Lord Herbert Vane-Tempest.

I am hoping MI gives his date of birth (expecting 27/1/1868) or details of his parents to confirm his identity. I have a photograph of the grave from the 2007 book by David Burkhill-Howarth on the accident but the inscription cannot be read.

Many Thanks

Offline cardiff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Peters Machynlleth MI
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hi
Have you found him on a census with his employer? Might be able to give you a different angle on your info
cheers cardiff ???
All CensusTranscriptions are Crown Copyright

Read Wiltshire /Pontypridd
Dove Lincolnshire/Pontypridd/Cardiff
Barnhouse Cardiff/Pontypridd
Wilkes Shropshire/ Staffordshire/ Rhondda
Fletchers Staffordshire/ Glamorgan
Wright Somerset/ Glamorgan
Probert Cardigan/Rhondda/Shropshire
Jenkins Cardigan
Lewis Cardigan
Morgan Penderyn/Pontypridd
Stephens Penderyn
David Glamorgan
Whitby Forest Dean
Hughes Goodrich/Pontypridd
Jackson/Smith London /Kent/Glamorgan
Hughes Maesteg/Ynyshire

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hi cardiff,

Thanks for your reply.

Will have a look at 1901 and 1911 as according to book he became valet for Vane-Tempest in 1897. Problem is, I doubt whether census will clarify whether he is "my" James Henderson. In the past the census records I have looked at have just recorded "Scotland" under place of birth rather than a place-name.

Date of birth or parent names would be better so I hope they will be on the headstone. Just have to plan a holiday down that way, sometime!

ikas

Offline cardiff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi
had a thought sounds like this train accident would have been in the local newspapers, it may have given more detail about your man if he had died.
Calling anyone able to look up the newspapers for that area at the time of the accident. Also would there not have been an inquest if  there where deaths  on  a local train?
cheers cardiff ???
All CensusTranscriptions are Crown Copyright

Read Wiltshire /Pontypridd
Dove Lincolnshire/Pontypridd/Cardiff
Barnhouse Cardiff/Pontypridd
Wilkes Shropshire/ Staffordshire/ Rhondda
Fletchers Staffordshire/ Glamorgan
Wright Somerset/ Glamorgan
Probert Cardigan/Rhondda/Shropshire
Jenkins Cardigan
Lewis Cardigan
Morgan Penderyn/Pontypridd
Stephens Penderyn
David Glamorgan
Whitby Forest Dean
Hughes Goodrich/Pontypridd
Jackson/Smith London /Kent/Glamorgan
Hughes Maesteg/Ynyshire

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 May 11 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Cardiff,

It was an infamous railway accident which I first read of many years ago - long before I became interested in my family tree and was entirely unaware of the possible connection to my ancestor until very recently. The accident is very well researched as there were 17 deaths but I have never seen any family details of the valet recorded as they usually concentrate on his employer.

The accident was covered extensively in local and national papers as was the subsequent coroners inquiry and rail accident investigation. I believe the local paper at the time was the "The Montogomery Express" but do not know if it still exists.

Thanks anyway for your interest.

Ikas

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 May 11 10:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

As with many accidents, the deaths were  possibly registered later because of inquests, etc.

There are these  two death registrations in 1921 ~

Herbert Vane-Tempest, aged  58, Mar q, 1921, Newtown, vol 11b, p 226 (North Wales BMD has Newton sub-district)

James Henderson, aged 53, Mar q 1921, Forden, vol 11b. p 239 (NW BMD has Montgomery sub-district)

The age of this James fits with a birth in 1868.

On later census, he is shown as born in Penninghame, which is in Wigtownshire.

There is a birth registered for a James Henderson in Penninghame - born March 27th 1869. Parents are John Henderson, gardener and Elizabeth maiden surname Tucker. Date is slightly out from your 27 January 1868. What was your source so that I can check the Scottish records?

I've traced (Lord) Herbert Vane Tempest through the censuses except for 1901. His mother was born in Montgomeryshire.

Hope some of this helps.

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 May 11 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi gnu,

Many thanks for the lookups. I have to go to the main library to get access to English records as I only have personal subscription to Scotlands People so your help is much appreciated.

It is beginning to look as though the valet that died at Abermule may not be "my" James Henderson as he was born in Glengarry, Invernesshire parents James and Catherine ms MacMillan.

Could you clarify which census you found James Henderson on and whether Vane-Tempest was also listed on it. If so then it looks as though it is just a coincidence of names (and birth dates as well on the basis of your lookup) which will be very disappointing as I found just recently circumstantial evidence that looked very strong (at the time!!) to link "my" man with Vane-Tempest.

Such is life!!

ikas

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 May 11 13:58 BST (UK) »
Was your James Henderson married?

Vane-Tempest and James Henderson were not in the same household on any of the censuses that I saw.

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 May 11 14:04 BST (UK) »
Ellis Island records show  Herbert Vane (Lord) Tempest age 44, English, and James Henderson aged 40, Scottish arriving on 4 December 1907 aboard the Kronprinzessin Cecilie . They are numbered 27 and 28 on the ship's manifest page.
They are both single, resident in London and bound for Mexico.

Border crossings from Mexico to the USA on familysearch show that  in December of 1907 both 'Herbert Van Tempest' aged 44 from England and a Jas. Henderson aged 36, also from England* passed through Eagle Pass.

*I suspect that the ship's manifest may be more accurate.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk