Author Topic: St Peters Machynlleth MI  (Read 11577 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Peters Machynlleth MI
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 May 11 14:14 BST (UK) »
I'll have a look to see if I can find the manifest.

Here's a marriage ~

Sept q, 1908, St George's Hanover Square, vol 1a page 1040

James Henderson and Kate Clifton on the same page

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 May 11 14:28 BST (UK) »
Border crossing  that Gallium found -

Herbert Van Tempest  Capitalist in transit,  Nationality- England,  Race - English,  City - London . Final Destination - London
James Henderson  Valet in transit ,  -do-

Also their departure from Southampton to New York - arrival 4 Dec 1907 on the Kronprinzessin Cecilie

Lord Herbert Vane Tempest, 44,single,  English, Permanent residence - London  In transit to Mexico
James henderson, 40, valet to LHVH, British - Scotch,  -do-

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 May 11 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Thanks for all your efforts.

gnu, if your James Henderson born in Penninghame is not on the census with Vane Tempest then perhaps he totally unconnected?

I have not found a marriage for "my" James henderson on Scotalands People but if he took up a post with Vane Tempest in 1897 then any marriage would be in England and therefore not on SP.

Galium - I know from elsewhere that Vane Tempest and his valet travelled to Mexico frequently and the birth dates on your ships manifest tie up with "my" Henderson so it looks possible but still need to confirm the details of the valet. Will just have to persevere but am a bit more hopeful now that he may be "my" man.

Thanks again

Ikas

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 May 11 15:37 BST (UK) »
Perhaps a copy of James Henderson's will would help?

James Henderson of Garden Village, Machynlleth died 26 January 1921. Probate London 11 June 1921 to Kate Henderson widow.

If it is your man, maybe you would want to see whether he  got a mention in his employer's will - although if he did I suppose it would only have come to his widow if it could be proved that Lord Vane-Tempest had died first.

Just in case you don't know, you can apply for a will by post using the form you can get via this page:

http://www.ancestor-search.info/NAT-Probate.htm 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 May 11 15:49 BST (UK) »
Good find, Gallium.  It ties in with the marriage registration that I found. If ikas could get that from the GRO it would confirm/disprove his parentage;

Sept q, 1908, St George's Hanover Square, vol 1a page 1040

James Henderson and Kate Clifton on the same page

I've been reading the Times for all the Vane Tempest info. Also they were buried together in similar coffins. I'm assuming that their remains were so entangled that they couldn't be differentiated  :'(

I had a relative who died in a train accident and it's not nice.

gnu

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 May 11 16:37 BST (UK) »
Galium and gnu,

Looks as though there are two options then to get confirmation as to whether he was "my" man.

It was a tragic accident as the single line was protected by a safety system that was considered absolute. It was undone by a catalogue of human errors by railway staff. One of the casualties was an officer who had survived the entire First World War only to die at Abermule aged 24 - very sad.

Many thanks for your help.

ikas

Offline danielletd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 28 January 12 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi ikas, I live in Machynlleth and know where the vane tempest graves are. I will look. For you. Also I live opposite garden village if your man did live there. Happy to help if I can.
Stoke-on-Trent: Fishers, Yoxalls, Sherratts, Mannering, Darlington, lawton
Hastings and Kent: Westons, Swain(e)s, smalls, Kent, Young,Morris, Dyton, Chapman, Colhurst, Coster, Hussey and piddlesdon.
Devon: Cooper(s)
Hampshire: Cutlers and Vollers, Tucker, Limbrick, Waldie, Groucher.

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 29 January 12 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi danielletd,

Thanks for your kind offer but gnu's reply shows that it was simply a co-incidence of names and and approx birth years. They are two separate persons. Outside chance that the one born in Penninghame is connected somehow to my lot but that is on my to-do list.

Thanks anyway for your interest.

Offline lilly14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 31 January 15 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ikas
 I know this post is a few years old now  but have you found your James Henderson as he is my great  grandpa and have info if you need it.

Cheers

Fiona
Davidson, Ross;  Banffshire. Henderson, McMillan, Inverness-shire. Mackenzie, Ross and Cromarty