Author Topic: Look up request please: Wellington, Somerset marriage for HARTNELL and MAKEPEACE  (Read 6427 times)

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Look up request please: Wellington, Somerset marriage for HARTNELL and MAKEPEACE
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 14 April 12 03:26 BST (UK) »
Now I understand your interest! Which Makepeace came to Australia? Do you know where? Not sure about Thomas and another marriage - where have you  found this? Hope you don't mind all my questions, but I haven't come across another marriage of Thomas, only Martha as a daughter??? Martha was the Executrix of the will which took over two decades to finalise!  Maybe they couldn't find Elizabeth? No reason given for it with the paperwork I got.  Despite trying twice.

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Look up request please: Wellington, Somerset marriage for HARTNELL and MAKEPEACE
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 14 April 12 03:36 BST (UK) »
I have Henry Makepeace b. about 1793 Wellington, Somerset, d. 1868 Leicester m. Mary Bass, St Margaret, Leicester, England 30 May 1814. Marriage information per IGI database.
Occupation by Census:
1841 Woolcarder
1851 Woolcomber Journeyman
1861 Factory Porter
Children of Henry Makepeace and Mary Bass (per census): Elizabeth, William Henry, James, Thomas, Edward, Samuel and Philip.
I will look into your other Henry tomorrow. Working today. Are you on Ancestry?

Offline swampinstein

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 14 April 12 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I have quite a bit on the Makepeaces in Australia...I connected to a relative of theirs and they gave ne a lot of info and then I searched the net and found more.

I will dig out all my notes.

I have a website i'm doing and putting all my family info on there but I haven't got around to putting all the makepeace info on there yet.
3 children of the makepeaces went to Van demons land as free settlers...I have a picture of one of them....need to dig that out too.
Sperry
Leicester
Bagworth
Heather
Prime
Gadsby
spence
Knight

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 15 April 12 02:02 BST (UK) »
I've googled and found the information that you must be talking about re Mary Ann Makepeace, said to be the daughter of John Makepeace and Sarah Hurley from Wellington, Somerset. She emigrated to Hobart with a couple of siblings.
The only marriage I can find for a Thomas Makepeace to a Martha is in York in 1873 (per IGI). But he was born and married after the Thomas I am talking about died.
I have no baptismal information for Thomas- although naturally assume he is from Wellington, Somerset. It is then difficult to determine his exact parentage, although we are probably on the right track :). I have seen other trees on the Internet with children of Henry Makepeace and Elizabeth Buller, but in the absence of baptisms pre introduction of official BMD registration in 1837, I am not sure we can be certain  ??? I assume it is based on the marriage dates of Makepeace's at Wellington.

Offline swampinstein

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 16 April 12 23:40 BST (UK) »
Yes they are the ones...I have quite a bit on those. I have a picture of Mary Anne.
Sperry
Leicester
Bagworth
Heather
Prime
Gadsby
spence
Knight