Author Topic: Look up request please: Wellington, Somerset marriage for HARTNELL and MAKEPEACE  (Read 6428 times)

Offline somersetlass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Look up request please: Wellington, Somerset marriage for HARTNELL and MAKEPEACE
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 January 12 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Well done for persevering and looking in other counties for them.  Hope the marriage certificate does confirm what you think.  Would be interested to know the outcome!
It simply takes      “One act of Random Kindness at a time”      to change the world

Research areas:
mainly Devon and Somerset
but also South Wales, Sussex, Sheffield, Northern Ireland, Fifeshire

Names:
Marshall & Goldsworthy; Bass & Nicol; Worden & Hobbs; Noble & Haste
Woodberry & Chorley; Moon & Hart; Brice & Richards; Denham & Honeybun

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Look up request please: Wellington, Somerset marriage for HARTNELL and MAKEPEACE
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 08:24 GMT (UK) »
The marriage certificate for Elizabeth Potter and George Hartnell arrived today. Marriage solemnized at The Parish Church in the Parish of Tottenham in the County of Middlesex by Banns.
18th March 1839
George Hartnall  Full Age  Servant  Residence: Tottenham
Groom's Father's Name: James Hartnall, Farmer
Elizabeth Potter Full Age Spinster Residence: Tottenham
Bride's Father's Name: Thomas Potter: Woolcomber
He signs
She makes her mark
Witnesses: George Filsell (?), Sarah Forster

Very frustrating. Wondering whether it is a clerical error as I was looking for her father being Thomas Makepeace who died 12 January 1839, Wellington, Occupation: Woolcomber. I know the spinster doesn't help either, however, could it be a bigamous marriage? Usually would still write widow though! Strange on the 1847 will that Susanna Makepeace gives her daughter as Elizabeth "wife of  Hurtnell" with a blank space for husband's christian name. She gives her other daughter's husband's full names.

Update: I got another copy of Susanna Makepeace's will and it definitely looks like the spouse of her daughter Elizabeth is HARTNELL.

The witnesses to the above marriage are the Parish Clerk and the Sexton's wife.

Offline swampinstein

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 April 12 00:26 BST (UK) »
I have a connection between the potters and makepeaces but it is going back a few years to what you are looking for but they might be connected to who you are searching.

I have

William Norman born abt 1698 married to an Elizabeth Potter they had a daughter Mary born abt 1719 in Wellington somerset and she married Edward Makepeace

Sperry
Leicester
Bagworth
Heather
Prime
Gadsby
spence
Knight

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 12 April 12 01:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your interest.  Do you have further information on the William Norman and Elizabeth Potter marriage - e.g. date, St John's, Wellington as parish? or witnesses?
That would be great if you do.

Re this later Elizabeth Makepeace b. abt 1800- 1803 who may have married John Potter and later this George Hartnell: I cannot find any information for the Thomas "Potter" woolcomber eg. Burial, Marriage in Wellington, Somerset, or elsewhere - so may therefore really be Thomas Makepeace.  I am now assuming it is. Elizabeth signs her mark on the marriage register, so she is illiterate. This is also available on the London Marriage Banns on Ancestry.com.

Offline swampinstein

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 April 12 22:04 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I can't give you any more info on the Normans or potters...I'm still looking
Sperry
Leicester
Bagworth
Heather
Prime
Gadsby
spence
Knight

Offline swampinstein

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 April 12 22:25 BST (UK) »
I have a thomas Makepeace. b: abt 1777  ...   ......married twice...... a Susanna and a Martha
 is this your Thomas?
Sperry
Leicester
Bagworth
Heather
Prime
Gadsby
spence
Knight

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 14 April 12 00:59 BST (UK) »
Yes, that is my Thomas Makepeace (Woolcomber) d. 12 Jan 1839, Wellington, aged 76 years, who married Susanna Wood in Ottery St Mary, Devon in 1791.
Children per Susanna's will appear to be in birth order: Henry Makepeace (I think he went to Leicester), Martha Makepeace, Elizabeth the wife of ................... Hartnell, Jane the wife of Thomas  Jones, Ann the wife of James Baker, Thomas Makepeace and Edward Makepeace.  I have followed all the children through with marriage and census and death. Martha did not marry and was the only baptism I could find and she was quite old when baptised at seventeen.

Offline swampinstein

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 14 April 12 01:55 BST (UK) »
I was going to say, did you know some makepeaces went to Australia then looked at your profile and you are in Australia....LOL
Seems we are related...I'm in Leicestershire Eng....I am related to Henry
Sperry
Leicester
Bagworth
Heather
Prime
Gadsby
spence
Knight

Offline swampinstein

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 14 April 12 02:08 BST (UK) »

I have

Henry Makepeace married Elizabeth Buller married 1763

their children

1.John who married Sarah Hurley

2.Sarah

3.Elizabeth who I think married a Phillip Parsons

4.Thomas who married twice....susanna and a martha

5.Ann who I think married  Robert Lockyer

6.Mary who I think married Samuel Crose

7.James who married Anne Eveleigh

8.Nicholas