Author Topic: How to find info from the early 1800s/John Ward  (Read 8923 times)

Offline Eidde

• RootsChat Member
  • (no relation)
    • View Profile
Re: How to find info from the early 1800s/John Ward
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 15 May 10 06:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Fergus

If Tammy doesn't take you up on your offer, I'd be happy to help - I'm researching ancestors from Dublin and I work in Sydney.

All the best

Eddie

Offline tammyward

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 August 10 05:00 BST (UK) »
I have been looking for the parents of a John Ward born in 1806 in Dublin and it has been a near impossible task. I ordered his Birth Certificate and it said his Father was a John Ward, but did not list his Mother. I have managed to find a John Ward Baptised in 1810 in Skerries in Dublin and his Parents are listed as John Ward and Jane Monks.

I have no idea if this Baptism is him or not. I do know that his Mother died when he was, I believe, a Teen. This caused him problems and he stole a gold pin and was sent to Australia as a Convict. John's Father, John Senior, sent a letter to the Court Begging for Clemency and in that letter had his address listed as 45 Cook Street Dublin and listed himself as a Labourer. Because John was a Convict there is a possibility that the Birth date on his Death Certificate could be wrong.

I don't know if Jane Monks is the Mother of my John Ward, but I would like to find out. If anyone has any advice on how I can find out if it is her it would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to know how I can see or purchase Jane Monks' Marriage Certificate. I would also like to see her Death Certificate, but due to the fact that I have no dates for her Birth, Death or Marriage I know that it could be impossible to find.

Kind Regards,

Tammy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 August 10 08:59 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of births, deaths and Catholic marriages began in 1864 (from 1845 for non-Catholic marriages) so there will be no civil records to help you. To find church records (if they exist) you'd need to know where the family lived.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 August 10 09:44 BST (UK) »
I have been looking for the parents of a John Ward born in 1806 in Dublin and it has been a near impossible task. I ordered his Birth death? Certificate and it said his Father was a John Ward, but did not list his Mother. I have managed to find a John Ward Baptised in 1810 in Skerries in Dublin and his Parents are listed as John Ward and Jane Monks.

I have no idea if this Baptism is him or not.........
John's Father, John Senior, sent a letter to the Court Begging for Clemency and in that letter had his address listed as 45 Cook Street Dublin and listed himself as a Labourer. ......

The address mentioned for John snr of Cook Street is in Dublin city centre, which I dont think fits in with the location of Skerries. This is a rural area in north county Dublin and over 30km away from Dublin city centre.

Also Ward is quite a common surname, so you do need further clues to locate the correct family.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline tammyward

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 08:09 BST (UK) »
I have been searching for a John Ward that was born in Dublin in 1809. His Fathers name was John Ward but I do not know his Mothers name. I do know that John became a convict and a letter written to the court by his Father states that his Mother had died some time ago. His transportation record was written in 1824 and lists his age as 16.

On the roots ireland website I have managed to find a  Baptism record of a John Ward Baptism:03-Feb-1810, Dublin, Parish: Skerries, Father John Ward and Mother Jane Monks. Do you think this could be The John Ward I am looking for?

I have looked for a marriage between John Ward and Jane Monks, but have only been able to find one in 1896:

Husband: John Warde                 Wife: Jane Monks
Address: Skerries                        Address:  Balrothery
Date of marriage: 01-Dec-1796

I don't know why they would have a child 13 years later, but maybe he was
one of the youngest children.

I can't find a death record for a Jane Ward between 1809 and 1825. The only one I can find is a Jane Ward, 1817, Co.Meath. There is a death record for a Jane Moncks, 1821, Co.Dublin. Were people usually referred to by their maiden name in a death certificate? The date and location do add up, but I don't know why it wouldn't say Jane Ward if it is her. Can anyone tell me what is on a death/burial record? does it have the spouse's name?

Do you think I'm on the right track?

Tammy

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 08:14 BST (UK) »
Both the surname Ward and the firstname John is quite common, so you would usually need a bit more detail to confirm a connection - e.g. place of birth. Not all parishes have records back to the early 1800s, so there's no guarantee that a baptism record for your John Ward actually survives..

You didn't mention a family religion for your Wards.. but RC registers dont usually include death/burials

Death/burial records show married name for women.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline tammyward

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 08:18 BST (UK) »
Forgot to add that in the Letter to the court John's Father stated that he lived at 45 Cook Street in the City of Dublin. I was wondering where that is in relation to the Parish of Skerries?

Tammy

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 08:20 BST (UK) »
Cook street is in Dublin city..   Skerries is in the north of the county.

For city parish records see : www.irishgenealogy.ie   (further RC records are due to be added later this year)

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 08:23 BST (UK) »
previous threads  -

How can I find a birth record in Ireland?

Moderator Note : other threads on the same subject have been merged with this one to prevent further duplicated research.
My Surname Interests