Author Topic: Look up request: Thomas & Margaret Davies  (Read 1644 times)

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up request: Thomas & Margaret Davies
« on: Wednesday 04 May 11 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hello! 

Would be extremely grateful for any info. on married couple, engineer Thomas & Margaret Davies (would love to learn her maiden name!) who moved away from this area somewhere between 1801 and 1804.  I know Margaret was born in 1760 +/- one year.  Sadly, have no info. on Thomas's d.o.b.; nor when they were married -- would really love to know about these.  Also have the names of their children, if it helps -- going from oldest to youngest: Thomas, Elizabeth, Sarah, Margaret, Mary, Owen, John, Anne, Joseph, Jane, Edward.  Of these, I know Anne was born in Denbighshire in c1801, but I am not sure of the birthplace of her younger (nor, indeed, with certainty, her older) siblings.

Many thanks for reading this and really would appreciate any assistance anyone can give!
PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look up request: Thomas & Margaret Davies
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 22:52 BST (UK) »
Its an interesting query you have to say the least!Have you any place in Denbighshire where they may have married,or perhaps where their children may have been born?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 May 11 00:54 BST (UK) »
Hi, William! 

Thanks for your interest!  The 1861 and 71 censuses apparently give Anne's place of birth as Ruabon.  I have slight grounds to suspect (but that's a VERY long story!) that some, at least, of her older siblings were also born in Ruabon.  But that's as much as I know.  Not much to go on -- I'm so sorry!  And thank you!

OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 May 11 08:41 BST (UK) »
Its important that you tell us everything you know in order for us to try and help you.You say the family moved away from the area?Where did they move to?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 May 11 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hello again!

The family moved to Inverness.  Thomas Davies seems to have been one of the team of engineers who moved north to help build the Caledonian Canal.  Margaret died in Inverness in 1809.  There is some evidence to suggest Thomas re-married later that year to an Isabella Matthews.  Thomas's stay in the Highlands appears to have been a lengthy one -- some of his children appear to have married and settled there; and we know he was living in Inverness in 1832.  I'm afraid I don't know if he ever returned to Wales.

Sorry I forgot to mention about Ruabon earlier -- that was an important thing to have overlooked!

Many thanks!