Author Topic: County Mayo search question  (Read 13978 times)

Offline Gallenruane

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
County Mayo search question
« on: Thursday 05 May 11 17:10 BST (UK) »
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT KILLASSER RC PARISH CAME UNDER BEFORE IT WAS FORMED IN 1847? Thanks I am trying to get info on my ancestor Farrell Ruane from  Co Mayo. I have found two Farrel Rune's in GV of Mayo 1856 one mentioned in Killasser one in Attymass parishes it could be the same man? However, if anyone has any ideas please shout! Thanks all!

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: County Mayo search question
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 May 11 19:40 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat  :)

There is something about Killasser here http://towns.mayo-ireland.ie/WebX?14@126.ZO9Sja7N0ZB.0@.ee7b9a9
and Attymass here http://www.attymass.ie/

In GV, the two entries for Farrell Ruane are Coolcashla, Killasser parish and Roosky, Attymass.
There are Ruanes in both parishes.

Is the timescale right for your ancestor?

what do you already know? Family Search has a Farrell Ruane as a parent c 1872, Swinford.  :-\
There is also a death for Farrell Ruane, Swinford district 1882, aged 62 yrs

hope this helps
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 May 11 20:58 BST (UK) »
I think the parish goes back further than 1847 - it's listed in the Catholic Directory of 1839 with parish priest John McNulty and curate John Coghlan. It's just that the available records only go back to 1847.

Killasser and the RC parish is also mentioned in Samuel Lewis 1837 directory - see : link  (towards the end of the page..)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 May 11 21:35 BST (UK) »
Attymass Parish lies to the South of Bonniconlon. A parish in the Barony of Gallen
Co,Mayo,and the province  of Connaught. it is three and half miles from Foxford
the parish is bounded on the south by the River Moy and on the east by the Ox Mountain's.

Offline Gallenruane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 May 11 01:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all for your swift response!

My Farrell Ruane was born abt 1924, I dont know where I just figured in must be in Gallen Barony as the name is from there and also the 5 records I got from Ireland roots, 1 baptism, 2 marriages, 2 deaths were all Farrell Ruane were from parishes in Gallen, but the time scale was out. Farrell went to Alnwick Northumberland England is in census 1851, (he is not in 1841 uk census) with his wife Mary (Cunningham I think, I am awaiting a death cert from GRO for Sebina Cunningham who is on census 1861 uk with family but listed as visitor, could be Mary's Ma) ?. I have searched weddings for him in England in case he got married there, no joy! Figuring his and wifes ages in Mary abt 1826 in 1851 census, they should have been married around 1845-1849. Winifred first child is 1 yr old in 1851 uk census, so bearing in mind Mary might have lost a child before Winnie I thought that time frame would fit? Thanks all for your input, Great!!!

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 May 11 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

it does look very difficult with the variations in spellings on each census.
I can see though that with the first name of Farrell, you would imagine a connection possible.

best wishes
heywood

Offline Gallenruane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 May 11 12:50 BST (UK) »
Yes certainly, I think the first name of Farrell is an unusual one, and as far as I have searched all 32 counties on various sites, i have only ever found it in Co Mayo, not even in Co Galway, Roscommon and Sligo where i found Ruane as a surname and. Though the surname Ruane is by far much more popular in Mayo than in the above counties mentioned.

There was a landlord in Killasser parish in Gallen (1856 GV) named  John Nolan Ferrall, I can't seee it being used as a first name to honour his family (just a thought) or did this happen? However, it has its advantages in searching (Farrell) as a first name, but records must be there first. When I get a chance to look at the Tithes for the Gallen parishes I might find it there, i will keep on trying, and thanks to all here for their much needed and very appreciated help!

Offline Gallenruane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 May 11 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood,

where can I get the Swinford Farrell Ruane's references in parish records you mentioned?

Thanks for stating it.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 May 11 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I found the references on Family Search https://www.familysearch.org/

I must say that I don't find it an easy site to move around - you will get a variety of names and places.
However, if you click on the 'New Search' tab on left side, you can then
be more specific and even ask for exact matches.
Civil registrations did not begin until 1864 - hence there is a death for a Farrell but as he is a similar age to yours, there is already a  difficulty.
Mary does give a place of birth in, I think 1881?, but it reads Corther.. - possibly 'man' at the end. I can't find anywhere to match.
I even wondered if it was an interpretation of 'county Mayo' by the enumerator.