Author Topic: Help Please with this Mystery, Poppleton/Gillott  (Read 1866 times)

Offline custard_pot

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Help Please with this Mystery, Poppleton/Gillott
« on: Thursday 05 May 11 22:34 BST (UK) »
I am helping a friend with his tree and we are doing his Fathers side again after taking the wrong line.  :(

His father was George Naylor Poppleton b. 1906 West Hoyland Barnsley Yorkshire. His father was William Henry Poppleton b. 1 May 1879 Hoyland, on his birth certificate there is no fathers name, his mother is down as Mary Ann Poppleton, Domestic Servent.

William on 1881 census he is not with his mother but living as Grandson with John Gillott, Elizabeth Gillott, William Gillott and Thomas Gillott. ??? On this he is down as being born at Worsbro Yorkshire and are living at Platts Common, Hoyland Nether, Yorkshire.

On 1891 he is still with his grandfather John Gillott in the same place.

on 15 Oct 1900 he married Elizabeth Ann Stenton, but this is where it gets very confusing as he married with the name William Henry Poppleton Gillott,  ???and his Father is on the certificate as William Henry Gillott. They married at St Peters Church Hoyland Yorkshire.

I can't make any sense of this, my friend did not really know his father as his parents seperated when he was young. His mother did say that when they married George did turn to one of his relatives and say "what name do I use Poppleton or Gillott" he used Poppleton.

On 1911 census they are using the name Poppleton and George as down as Naylor Poppleton.

Please can someone help to sort this any help at all would be appreciated.

Christine
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Smith, Warwickshire
Young, Leamington /Whitnash / Warwickshire
Somerfield / Bloxwich Staffordshire
Summerfield, Plymouth Devon
Jeffery, Dorset / Plymouth / Devon
Bouskill, Bagshaw, Nottinghamshire/ Barnsley / South yorkshire /
Gent, Blackburn, Wales Yorkshire / Nottingham / Rotherham / Barnsley / South yorkshire

Online groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please with this Mystery, Poppleton/Gillott
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 May 11 22:46 BST (UK) »
Reading this it looks as if after his birth his paternal grandparents might have taken him in and raised him. Was the William in 1881 old enough to be the father?

Jan

Offline custard_pot

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please with this Mystery, Poppleton/Gillott
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 May 11 22:55 BST (UK) »
William Gillott on the 1881 was aged 20, I thought that possibly he could be the father but on 1891 there is only William H Poppleton and John Gillott his grandfather.

Christine

Smith, Warwickshire
Young, Leamington /Whitnash / Warwickshire
Somerfield / Bloxwich Staffordshire
Summerfield, Plymouth Devon
Jeffery, Dorset / Plymouth / Devon
Bouskill, Bagshaw, Nottinghamshire/ Barnsley / South yorkshire /
Gent, Blackburn, Wales Yorkshire / Nottingham / Rotherham / Barnsley / South yorkshire