Author Topic: Belfast St 1860s  (Read 6244 times)

Offline ravenhair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Belfast St 1860s
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 12 September 06 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hello again,
Do you think it could possibly be connected to the Mrs Halliday at 27 Sussex, as posted by Anthony? Maybe the numbers got reversed either on the original or on the copy? John and Helen married in 1871 (april) so the dates would tally.
There is a family on the 1881 census in scotland which seem to also fit the bill, but the name looks like Bayne, also a death of Helen Halliday Boag in 1901, in Old or West Kilpatrick.
Thanks for all your help Peter, you too Anthony, this was as far as i have managed to get, and i keep drifting off to research other bits of the family and then coming back to it again.

Offline farmer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 September 06 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,
A relative in N Ireland got a copy of my grandparents marriage certificate a while back, and I got a copy of the same certificate from the Registrar's Office here in Glasgow 2 years ago - there are differences between the two certificates, which are certified copies of the same entry in the original register.   So make your own mind up about the house number?
I read  your entry re the death of Helen Halliday Boag in Old Kilpatrick,  I can place my grandparents Rebecca and John Halliday in Duntocher in 1901.   Duntocher is in the parish of Old Kilpatrick.
There is no apparent connection, but I'll be keeping your John and Helen in mind.
Peter

Offline GaryOB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 14 September 06 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Halliday's

Came across a reference to Halliday in the Glenravel Timelines for 1860's which might be of interest.

"Aug 1864 - Orange Riots broke out across the city, encompassing Barack St, Pound St, Hamill St, Durham St, Divis St and Sandy Row amongst many others.  The riots lasted over a week and the amount of artillery and constabulary needed to quell the riots was unprecedented in Belfast since 1798.  Nine people were killed during the riots, mainly from gunshot wounds." 

These included James Halliday and my relative John Milliken!!

John Kerr was sent for trial for the murder of James Halliday.

No other details available but might be worth investigating....

Gary
O'Brien (Coleraine/Canada/Donaghadee)
Milliken (Belfast and others)

Offline ravenhair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 15 September 06 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Gary,
Thanks for the information, certainly worth a follow up! I know so little about my Halliday/Bogue ancestors that (as they say at Tesco) every little helps!!
Carol

Offline farmer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 15 September 06 20:14 BST (UK) »
Cheers Gary
Very interesting- I googled,  but not too much on the net re James, if you (or anyone else finds any info)  please post?
Peter

Offline GaryOB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter

I found this article from Cavan Observer September 1864 at http://www.irelandoldnews.com/Cavan/1864/SEP.html

THE LATE RIOTS--ANOTHER DEATH

On Saturday we announced the decease, in the General Hospital. of John MILLIKEN and Neal FEGAN, shot during the recent riots, and we have this morning to swell the list of casualties by recording the death of John GORDON (sic), who was shot at Millfield, on Tuesday, the 16th instant, and died in the General Hospital on Saturday morning, from tetanus, the result of a bullet wound in the thigh. This is the ninth reported death arising from the riots, and it is feared others must follow. The following is a full list of the already fatal cases, so far as we have heard:--

Alexander M'KEE--Shot at St. Malchy's Chapel (Protestant).

Neal FEGAN, Berry-street--Shot at Thompson's Bank (Roman Catholic).

John MURDOCK, Stanley street-Shot at Albert street Place (Protestant).

John MILLIKEN, Brown square--Shot in Brown street (Protestant).

John GORMAN, Union street-Shot in Millfield (Roman Catholic).

Robert DAVIDSON, Durham street-Shot in Durham street (Protestant).

John M'CONNELL, Durham street-Shot in Durham street (Protestant).

Francis HEYBURN, Millford street-Shot in Millfield (Roman Catholic).

James HALLIDAY, Smithfield--Shot in Millfield (Roman Catholic).

On Saturday, immediate after the inquest, the remains of Neal FEGAN were taken to Friar's Bush graveyard for interment. The funeral, at the express request of the Roman Catholic clergymen, consisted of only the immediate relatives and friends of the deceased; and a similar statement may be made with respect to the funeral of John GORMAN, which took place at the same cemetery yesterday (Sunday). In the course of the funeral of John MILLIKEN, which took place from his late residence in Brown square, at three o'clock yesterday, the remains of the deceased were followed to Shankill graveyard by an immense number of people--at least 5,000--the great majority of whom walked in procession, four abreast. There was no disorder whatever, and the route of the procession was through an entirely Protestant district...

Another little snipet to file away.

Gary

Offline farmer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 19:57 BST (UK) »
Nice one Gary.   
Will keep on file, James Halliday may be a link.
Peter

Offline GaryOB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 23:24 BST (UK) »
Hi again Peter

I was reading a transcript this evening of "A Lecture by Thomas Gaffikin
"Belfast Fifty Years Ago" presented April 8th 1875 Part 1. "Belfast 50 years ago" wherein he described the town in 1825.

There was a reference to a tavern called "The Mail Coach Passing Through Dromore Square," where the proprietor (Maxwell Halliday) came from.

Another snippet to file away.

Gary

Offline farmer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 11:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gary,
Maxwell isn't a familiar family name, but filed it, in case.
Really interesting is the Dromore Square bit, I'm fascinated by the street and place names common to Belfast and Glasgow, might indicate that not only did the workforces move between the two cities, perhaps the politicians and businessmen (the good and the great as they love to call themselves) did the same?
Peter