Author Topic: Belfast St 1860s  (Read 6241 times)

Offline farmer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Belfast St 1860s
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 September 06 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Ravenhair,
I've done lots of checking, not found any connection, which doesn't mean a thing!
I've emailed a "cuz", who has done huge Halliday research,  if I get an answer I'll let you know.
I've added your information to my files, I'm interested in your John Halliday/Holliday. 
Thanks
Peter

Offline farmer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 September 06 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi again Ravenhair
Reply from cuz - sorry, he doesn't see any connections.
Bogue - really interesting name - I was amazed to find links in Govan and Clydebank (Boags), and a discussion on  B-G.  And on Geneanet - wow - 50 pages - mostly French and Belgian entries, with a few early Scottish links and the very odd Glasgow link.
Best of luck
Peter

Offline ravenhair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 September 06 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,
Thanks for your replies, shame there doesnt seem to be a connection.
After John Bogue and Helen/Ellen Halliday married in 1871, they went to Scotland, because in 1873 their daughter (my gt grandmother, Mary was born - in Govan!!) Somewhere along the line the spelling of the name seems to have changed to Boag. I have a copy of John and Helens marriage certificate, but have got no further than that at the present time. If you would like those details, i would be happy to share them.
Many thanks, Carol

Offline ravenhair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 September 06 20:10 BST (UK) »
Anthony, if you revisit this thread,
On the copy marriage certificate i have for John Bogue and Helen/Ellen Halliday, their usual place of residence is given as 72 Sussey Street, i am guessing that this may have been mis-spelt and might be sussex street. Have you come across this street in your directories?

Offline farmer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 September 06 02:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,
Sussex St is in Kinning Park in Glasgow,  next to Govan.

Offline ravenhair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 11 September 06 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,
This is getting interesting!! Thanks for the information, the copy of the marriage certificate shows that as their place of residence, and i suppose i assumed (which i should not do!!) that because they were married in Belfast then it followed that that was where they were living at the time. Perhaps they went to scotland before 1871 and returned home to marry? Maybe they met in scotland? I feel like Hercule Poirot!! (only without the moustache or indeed the expertise!!!!)

Offline farmer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 11 September 06 20:43 BST (UK) »
How about this? -
I was born a few streets away, there have been pockets of Hallidays in that area for  years.
I looked up Kinning Park valuation rolls 1914, all I found was a shopkeeper in Sussex St, Jane? Halliday.
I have print offs of your Halliday/Fletcher/Bogue connections, both in Antrim and Glasgow, when I finally get to the Mitchell to check records, I'll look them up too.
Peter

Offline Anthony

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 11 September 06 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter. There is a Surrey St & Sussex St in Belfast but came across these.

Belfast 1852

James Haliday, Labiurer 8 Sussex St.

Belfast 1870

Mrs Haliday 27 Sussex

Anthony

Offline farmer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 11 September 06 22:47 BST (UK) »
I wondered about that Anthony - usually there is a qualifying residence period after the banns have been called (3 weeks I think), so if they were married in Belfast it will be the Belfast Sussex or Surrey St?

Bang goes another theory!
Peter