Author Topic: Tryon Family, Bibury, Gloucester, Bulwick, Northants, London, Middlesex  (Read 2423 times)

Offline mmmmikkimac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Seeking information on the Tryon Family of London, Middlesex, Bulwick, Northants, and Bibury, Gloucester.

Peter Tryon came to London, ca 1560, with £60,000. He was a Flemish weaver and the Tryon's left the areas of Flanders and the Spanish Netherlands due to religious persecution by the Duke of Alba.

I have found bits and pieces of information and references to the family in London, primarily at Christopher le Stocks and Austin Friars Dutch Reformed Church; in a census record, he was listed as living in the "worm on the hoek" - worm referring to a costly red dye used in the cloth trade, and 'hoek' possible meaning the corner house, and from what I have found, it meant he lived in the red house on the corner.

Peter's son Moses, bought the manors of Bulwick and Harrington, ca 1619-1620 and it has been the family home since then.  There was a William and Rebecca Tryon, who lived in Bibury, Gloucester and it is said they had 3 children; Rowland, William, and Thomas.

It was William that is thought to have been the immigrant ancestor for the Tryon's in America.  I would like to find the common relatives/ancestors, of those Tryon's living in London, Bulwick and Bibury.

Offline fionaeve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Tryon Family, Bibury, Gloucester, Bulwick, Northants, London, Middlesex
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 February 13 22:28 GMT (UK) »
The Tryon family came over from Wevelgem, Flanders.  It appears that Peter and Francis were brothers (but still concrete evidence is needed), William was probably a cousin but this has not been proven.  The name originally was spelt as Tryoen and there are other spellings of it which include Trion, Trioen, Tryan and Boyd's London Inhabitants even has the name spelt as True.  Having been to Who Do You Think To Are today I have a couple of websites that I have been given to check for records in Belgium which might relate to the family and I think I will have to take a trip over there to see if I can find out more.

Offline mmmmikkimac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Tryon Family, Bibury, Gloucester, Bulwick, Northants, London, Middlesex
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 February 13 01:43 GMT (UK) »

Thank you for your reply.  I knew they were "Flemish weavers from Flanders" and left there to settle in England around 1550 from what I have been able to find. There have been others researching this family surname and while some of the information is reliable, a lot of it is questionable due to lack of references and documentation posted.

I don't think some of the towns listed by other researching the surname were spelled properly.  I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks again. "Mikki"