Author Topic: Nowlan Family  (Read 4976 times)

Offline 1963chris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nowlan Family
« on: Monday 09 May 11 15:56 BST (UK) »
I would be interested to know if anyone has in their family tree Ann, Hannah and Mary Nowlan, born 1820s, and their father John, possibly of County Carlow.  This is a very long shot but I thought I would try anyway!
Thanks,
Christine :)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Nowlan Family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 May 11 16:00 BST (UK) »
Nolan/Nowlan is a very common surname and not many parishes have records back to 1820... so you would need to know a bit more details about where your Nowlan/Nolan family lived to check what, if any, records are available for the area they lived,.

see :  Introduction to Irish Records
          My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?   

see previous post on this family : Nowlan Family

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Nowlan Family
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 May 11 20:09 BST (UK) »
I'd caution against focusing too much on Co. Carlow without some evidence - have you checked for English census returns for Ann, Hannah and Mary to see if they ever give a more detailed place of birth ?

The problem with a surname like Nolan/Nowlan is the it is very widespread, so even though Nolan is common in Co. Carlow, there are nearly as many Nolan households in counties such as Dublin, Kilkenny and Wexford - and based on number of results of searches of Griffith's valuation (1847-1864) there were even more in Co. Galway.

Doing the same searches for the spelling Nowlan shows that it was most common in counties Kilkenny, Wexford and Dublin - followed by Carlow.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests