Author Topic: Duckworth family in Lancashire  (Read 18001 times)

Offline tomrobin29

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Duckworth family in Lancashire
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 26 May 11 14:34 BST (UK) »
From the new book about the Brewery: The Life and Times of Daniel Thwaites Brewery 1807-2007 by Jehanne Wake;

"Daniel had married Betty Duckworth at the Parish church of Blackburn. Betty had three sisters: Mary, who was married to Robert Yates a yeoman farmer of Duckworth Hall in Oswaldtwistle, and Grace and Ellen, who were then unmarried."

Offline sallysh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 26 May 11 16:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks! As for the book, "Life and Times," I wonder how I might get a copy of it. Thanks for the reference, by the way. Clears up some things, but the birth/christening of Betty Duckworth still remains a mystery, doesn't it.
Sally
Lancashire: Ward, Thwaites, Duckworth
Cumberland/Cumbria: Cassidy, Clark(e), Ellis,

Offline MattRob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 03 April 14 12:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Sarah at the U.K. end of Rootschat.  I have now been able to get into this reply page - thankfully. Thank you Sarah.  Now, about two years ago, a very kind lady from England answered an old question I had on some links, I had some been researching for many years - being for Edward Yates of Blackburn who married Betsy Haigh of Holmfirth c.1836?  For a long time I had the Robert Yates of Blackburn and a wife Mary, but found there were so many ladies named Mary with different surnames, that it was just too hard.  This kind lady wrote to me, sent me some amazing research and then very kindly sent me the book on Thwaites Brewery. Wow !!!  I have been so busy trying to close down my research after 28 years, that I just had to leave it, until I thought about seeing if I could get some data from the net. I am so grateful to this friend, that I will have to share all this with her hopefully, soon. First I would love to know if there are any from this line of family that are interested in communicating with me. Liverpool, Lancashire is well known to me, as over all these years, I have researched my Bostock - Wilkinson, families out of Cheshire and Liverpool. I would love to hear from any who would love to share links. This lady has shared an amazing lineal chart with me too.  As I have helped many people over the years, this was a special and wonderful occasion for me. I am delighted to chat from Queensland Australia.  I have a Word Document, which I could send if any were interested in this line - Duckworth Yates, Haigh  Fearon Wilson and many others.       

Offline MattRob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Duckworth - Yates family Blackburn Lancs.
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 05 April 14 06:37 BST (UK) »
We found our YATES family at Blackburn Lancs. Edward Yates b.2.9.1811 Blackburn, christened 17.10.1811 Chapel St. Blackburn. His parents were Robert & Mary Yates [nee Duckworth 2012], Blackburn. RG4_1018. from archives search £5. “From England and Wales, Non-Conformist Record Indexes [RG4-8]”.  Found Mary Duckworth m.19.11.1810 Robert Yates [21 & 25 years]. Edward Yates married Betsy Haigh of Holmfirth, West Riding, Yorkshire. Joseph Yates witness at Edward and Betty’s marriage, is his brother. Found 19.8.2006 Joseph Yates b.4.5.1813 to Robert and Mary Duckworth christened 30.5.1813 Chapel St., Blackburn. Both Edward and Joseph were born Chapel St. Independant. The marriage 27.1.1836 for Edward and Betty was bought from West Yorkshire Archives. Register:-Betsy was of All Saints Parish Ch. Wakefield. Ref: AR12/41/LB-  Edward Yates, Leeds Parish and Betty [Betsy] Haigh of this Parish, sign Edward Yates & Betty Haigh. Witness:- Joseph Yates & Catherine Lascelles, ? Dixon. Edward & Betsy married by Licence.
Edward Yates was a Veterinary Surgeon and d.c.1854. This may help someone who has links down this line. We are thrilled to get more data from Rootschat just now.

Offline dixieau

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 02 August 14 04:35 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to prove/disprove a Duckworth connection to my Melrose family, I'm wondering if the following names resonate with anybody? On a side note, I am also trying to prove/disprove whether there is 1 or 2 different Thomas Graham Melrose & families at the same time.

I have a Mary Melrose born 1834 Dublin, Ireland (from census records & RGO Birth) to Private Thomas Melrose & Mary (Irvine).  There is a marriage recorded at Lancashire on 17th May 1857 of Mary Melrose, dau of Thomas Graham Melrose (Joiner) and James Duckworth (Cotton Beamer) son of Thomas Duckworth (Cotton Twister).

Thanks in advance.
Rhonda
Melrose (All locations), Brown (Lanc/AUS), Chapman (SCT), Cleary (IRE/AUS), Cummins (AUS), Fritchley (NTT/AUS), Hamilton (DEV/AUS), Jones (UK/AUS), Lucas (SCT/AUS), Mundy (CON/AUS), McLaughlan/McLauchlan (SCT/IRE/AUS), Moroney/Maroney (IRE), Pinkerton (Ire/AUS), Prisk(e) (CON),  Wilkinson (UK),

Offline GrannyM

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 02 August 14 08:09 BST (UK) »
I know its a longshot but does anyone think Nelley could be Betty ??? .

Sorry I've changed my mind  ::).  In 1851, Grace Duckworth is living with her widowed sister, Ellen Greenwood so I think Ellen is Nelley.

HO107/2258/425 p24

and Betty's christening is still a mystery  ???

Luzzu

Just reading through this thread(finding it interesting!)....my grandmother was christened Ellen but my grandfather called her Nellie.....I have always wondered why because I have never come across  it anywhere else, perhaps one of those strange things we do with names, another example in our family is John being called Jack, William called Bill, Robert called Bob...the list goes on...  :D
Rigby-Lathom, Freckleton,
Singleton-Fylde
Moss-Rufford
Johnson-Tarleton
Hull-Tarleton, Fylde
French-Abram,Rainford
Blake-Upton in Cheshire
Bolas-Shropshire
Butler- Greenhalgh, Lancs
Harrison - Garstang, Lancs

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 02 August 14 08:28 BST (UK) »
we have an Agnes - called Senga = it`s spelt backwards ...maybe Ellen = Nelle ( Nelly)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline GrannyM

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 02 August 14 08:34 BST (UK) »
Of course ;D doh! never crossed my mind that Nellie is Ellen backwards! We humans certainly like playing around with words and names.
Rigby-Lathom, Freckleton,
Singleton-Fylde
Moss-Rufford
Johnson-Tarleton
Hull-Tarleton, Fylde
French-Abram,Rainford
Blake-Upton in Cheshire
Bolas-Shropshire
Butler- Greenhalgh, Lancs
Harrison - Garstang, Lancs

Offline MattRob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 02 August 14 09:26 BST (UK) »
Hello from Australia. I am descended from Robert Yates and Mary Duckworth .  Their son Edward Yates, a veterinarian married Betsy Haigh and lived at Holmfirth and Leeds in early 1800's.
I have much on this family that I have shared with another special lady who found me, just a couple of years ago.  I will help if I can, as I have the book. Where do you live, is important.