Author Topic: Duckworth family in Lancashire  (Read 18002 times)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Duckworth family in Lancashire
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 13:17 BST (UK) »
I see where you are coming from , but if Betty was born BEFORE 1777 that would make her in her 30`s when she married in 1806 ???...I prefer the 1784 possible that you found....maybe Betty was the eldest child to Edwards second marriage ?? making Edward 30 when Betty was born ??
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 13:25 BST (UK) »
Yes I was just thinking that she would have been quite mature when she married Daniel Thwaites and according to those links I posted earlier they had 12 children (Daniel Thwaites junior being the 6th child born in 1817).  Not very likely as she would have had 6 more children in her 40's.

However if those burials are right Betty Wolstenholme didn't die until 1828.

Luzzu

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 14:18 BST (UK) »
The baptism for Edward Duckworth on 13 Jan 1854 is also on this website:-

http://wilkinp4.blackapplehost.com/Buildings/Churches/SaintBarts/SaintBartsChristenings1547to1812.htm

13 Jan 1754  Edward Son of Tho: Duckworth, innkeeper

and it gives Thomas' occupation as innkeeper.

There are also the baptisms of Grace and Mally but no Betty  :(.  There are masses of other Duckworths on there as well but it will take some time to sort them out.

Going back to Thomas' occupation as innkeeper, there was an inn called The Roebuck and the innkeeper was Thomas Duckworth.  They were there in 1750 and it was in their family for 3 generations.

http://wilkinp4.blackapplehost.com/Leisure/Public_Houses/Roebuck/Roebuck.htm

The tenants were Thomas & Grace Duckworth.  I can't find a marriage though.

The big coincidence is ......... The Roebuck was eventually sold to Thwaites.

Luzzu

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline sallysh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 14:48 BST (UK) »
I am deeply grateful for all this input -- and a bit overwhelmed. I'd actually found some of that information, after visiting the matterdale and cottontown sites. I'd assumed her father's name was Lawrence Duckworth, from a baptism record in 1785, Haslingden. Then read a portion of a biography about her famous brother Daniel Thwaites, and found the father's name Edward.  :-\ Just wasn't able to prove either one, and never found a wife/mother. I'll follow the lines suggested and see where it leads me.
Again, humble thanks.
Sally :)
Lancashire: Ward, Thwaites, Duckworth
Cumberland/Cumbria: Cassidy, Clark(e), Ellis,

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hi.

I can tell you that Edward who died 1822, Betty who died 1828 and Grace who died in 1855 are all buried in the same grave at St. Bartholomews, Great Harwood.  It is definitely the correct Edward as the Lancaster Gazette dated 28th December, 1822 states:

On Sunday last, aged 60, awfully sudden, Mr. Edward Duckworth of the firm of Duckworth, Clayton, and Thwaites, of the Eanam brewery, in Blackburn.

This is the link to St. Bartholomews Grave Plans - http://www.great-harwood.org.uk/  choose History on the left and then scroll down to Documents and you should see the graveyard index. 

Regards,
Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline sallysh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 21:59 BST (UK) »
I should  have said earlier that the sisters Mary and Ellen came from christening records in Haslingden, Lancashire when I was going on the assumption that Betty's father was Lawrence Duckworth, mother was Mary, all of Haslingden. This made sense to me since her daughter Betty Thwaites Ward died at a family home in Haslingden, occupied by that time by her daughter Alice Thwaites Thompson (1891). If all of you good folks are correct, I've been in the wrong neighborhood. Betty Duckworth Thwaites always appeared in the census as being born in Blackburn, so that could mean either Great Harwood or Haslinden, right?
I am prepared to let Mary and Ellen Duckworth go; they're both from Haslingden and their father was Lawrence.
Thwaites Brewery histories state Betty Duckworth was the sole heir and proprieter of her father's brewery venture with Messrs. Clayton and Dutton, so that's a problem with Grace being the eldest and also living possibly until 1855, and apparently never married. So is it possible Grace is not a daughter of Edward and Betty, but rather another relative buried in their grave site? Or perhaps Betty was chosen as heir over sister Grace for reasons other than who was the elder?  Maybe Grace wasn't into beer?? ???
The purchasers of the Roebuck Inn in 1897 (Thomas Duckworth in Rishton) were T. and W. Thwaites, of Blackburn. These would probably be nephews of Daniel Thwaites (son of Betty Duckworth and Daniel Thwaites), the millionnaire owner of Thwaites Brewery and Eanam Brewery. His heir was his only child and husband named Yerburgh.
I'll  have to scrap my baptism of Betty Duckworth (Jan 1785, Haslingden) as it's based on a father called Lawrence.
Many thanks! I'll keep on plugging away.
Sally
Lancashire: Ward, Thwaites, Duckworth
Cumberland/Cumbria: Cassidy, Clark(e), Ellis,

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 23:55 BST (UK) »
Now that Mosiefish has confirmed we have the right burial for Edward Duckworth, I would be confident that he is buried with his wife, Betty, and daughter Grace.  The age for Grace matches exactly for the 1777 christening.

Maybe, as you say, Grace wasn't interested in the business or maybe she wasn' a strong woman - although she can't have been that delicate as she lived until she was 77.

Maybe Betty was chosen to inherit as she was already married to Daniel Thwaites and it might have made good business sense.

Also Grace was unmarried and had no children and Betty had 4 sons and 6 daughters.

Looking at the list of christenings on this link:-

http://wilkinp4.blackapplehost.com/Buildings/Churches/SaintBarts/SaintBartsChristenings1547to1812.htm

19 Oct 1777 Grace, daughter of Edward
14 May 1780 Mally, daughter of Edward (who was buried 6 Aug 1780)
27 Oct 1782 Nelley, daughter of Edward & Betty

I know its a longshot but does anyone think Nelley could be Betty  ???.

Luzzu

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 00:05 BST (UK) »
I know its a longshot but does anyone think Nelley could be Betty ??? .

Sorry I've changed my mind  ::).  In 1851, Grace Duckworth is living with her widowed sister, Ellen Greenwood so I think Ellen is Nelley.

HO107/2258/425 p24

and Betty's christening is still a mystery  ???

Luzzu

Offline tomrobin29

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 26 May 11 14:16 BST (UK) »
Further to the death of Edward Duckworth in 1822.
The burial record on the Great Harwood site says aged 69.
Whereas the quoted newspaper article concerning the death of Edward of the brewery says age 60.

Why this discrepancy? Are you sure they are the same person.

Tom Robinson
(also a descendant of Edward)