Author Topic: Thrandeston PRs look up please  (Read 5641 times)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Thrandeston PRs look up please
« on: Monday 09 May 11 22:46 BST (UK) »
George Groom born 1802 in the 1841 census it says

HO107/1821 473 1
Tivetshall St Margaret, Norfolk  born Suffolk ?Trandliston? ( I think it is Thrandeston  Suffolk)

However, in the 1881 it says 
RG11 Piece / Folio  1969 / 61 Page Number  2   born  Eye, Suffolk and I think this is the right George Groom as he is living/staying with Fanny Dye nee Groom ( his daughter)

He married Amelia Kemp
12 Nov 1827 St Margarets Tivetshall Norfolk, no parents mentioned, although John kemp is staying/living with them in 1851 marked as birth place unknown and 1841  living at (HO107/758/15 7 8) Tivetshall St Margaret, Norfolk  'not born in county'

I can’t find their marriage on the Suffolk marriage strays.

I need to find George Groom’s parents and birth place. I don't know Suffolk very well so eg is  Thrandeston in Eye parish area ( I know they are only about 4 miles apart)

I have found several George Groom’s born somewhere in Suffolk around that date, so need other records to cross reference for his correct birth place and hopefully his parent’s names.

Hope someone can help?

TIA

From some hard work and kind people I have IGI information about the people below. Could someone check the PRs for information/clarification re these people

Robert Groom and Elizabeth Barnard

Robert bp.11/5/1794
John bp.30/8/1795
George bp.14/7/1799
Anne bp.9/5/1801
Sarah bp.30/3/1810
Enoch bp.1814 (no full date)

Also a George Groom died in 1800, not sure if it is the child above

ALSO my George Groom born Thrandeston c1801/2 who was still alive in 1881 his birth
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
Re: Born Suffolk, married Norfolk 'George Groom'
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 May 11 23:18 BST (UK) »
The parish church at Thrandeston is dedicated to Saint Margaret and the PRs are available from 1558 on just 11 fiche, so not a big busy parish.

Don't forget you can 'visit' Suffolk churches courtesy of Simon via his website
www.suffolkchurches.co.uk

Both Thrandeston and Tivetshall St Margaret are near to one of the main ancient road routes - it begins near Stowmarket (Needham Market) Suffolk going through to Norwich Norfolk.  Still a very busy road today.

Pat ...

PS - almost forgot to mention that if you go to Simon's website, you can connect to his Norfolk Churches web site too  :D

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 May 11 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat

Thank you for the  information and link I will take a look
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 May 11 23:30 BST (UK) »
Hello again.

Where did you get the marriage from?

There is a submitted record on IGI Family Search (so this needs to be checked carefully) giving George Groom's marriage to Amelia Kemp. They say she was born 1800 Dickleborough Suffolk father John Kemp and he was born Thraneston. They also give a marriage abt 1822 Trandleston.

Children from this marriage are given as Charles 1832, Eliga 1834 and Maria 1838.

As you say, the 1851 census gives his place of birth as Thraneston, so does the 1861: RG 9/1232/190/12 and the 1871: RG 10/1835/85/8 so apart from the 1881 he is pretty constant as to his place of birth.

Jan
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 May 11 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan

Nice to here from you...I got the marriage from freereg 12 Nov 1827 Tivetshall St Margarets Norfolk.

Not seen the IGI info, I will add it as IGI (  I don't trust IGI, just use it as a clue about where to look)
John 1830, Charles 1833, Elijah 1834, Fanny 1836 and Maria 1838 are who I have as the couples children.

Thank you for checking the 1861/1871, George was 80 years old by the 1881 so I wonder if someone else gave the enumerator the info? So my thought is it is Thraneston is where I need to concentrate a search on.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 00:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

The familysearch pilot site shows:

George Groom bp.14/7/1799 Thrandeston, Suffolk son of Robert Groom and Elizabeth Barnard.

If you just do a search on births/christenings for the surname Groom in Thandeston, Suffolk it will bring up his siblings too.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 00:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you Annette...I will investigate

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette...not sure where you are looking on familysearch, (it is not a website I use much) however I think maybe if these are the right parents,  there was another previous George Groom Burial Date:    08 Dec 1800 ( same parents)...can't find anyone else but I notice there are several 'familysearch' websites and all seem different

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 00:33 BST (UK) »
There are 3 familysearch sites you can view at the moment: familysearch beta, familysearch pilot and familysearch (old original site)

The address for the pilot site is:

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=home

I can't get on with the new beta site so use the pilot site whilst it's still up and running and the old original one.

Robert Groom and Elizabeth Barnard were the only couple having children baptised in this period - 6 shown:

Robert bp.11/5/1794
John bp.30/8/1795
George bp.14/7/1799
Anne bp.9/5/1801
Sarah bp.30/3/1810
Enoch bp.1814 (no full date)

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk