Author Topic: Thrandeston PRs look up please  (Read 5640 times)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Born Suffolk, married Norfolk 'George Groom'
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 01:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you Annette.............

George Groom Burial Date:    08 Dec 1800 ( same parents)
there is either another George Groom or it is the wrong family as George is alive in 1881 aged 80 years, giving him a birth date of c1801...as you say

"Robert Groom and Elizabeth Barnard were the only couple having children baptised in this period" and 'Pat' says "Saint Margaret and the PRs are available from 1558 on just 11 fiche, so not a big busy parish".....

Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 02:16 BST (UK) »
It seems to be a very patchy coverage of Thrandeston parish records on familysearch.

Seems strange that there is a 9 year gap between dau. Anne and dau. Sarah - you really need someone to view the parish records and do a manual check.

I did a search of anybody born Thrandeston between 1801 and 1810 and the only years with any baptisms were 1805 and 1809 so something seems wrong.   If the George born 1799 died 1800 I wouldn't mind betting they had another George soon after.   

I note that Robert (husband of Elizabeth Barnard) was bc.1773 and bur.24/1/1815 Thrandeston.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 10:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annette

Yes I am hoping someone has access to the Thrandeston PRs or knows of a website which has them.
As least your search has provided names and  dates which could make it easier now to look at the PRs  specifically for them, so thank you for that.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 10:22 BST (UK) »
Iluleah, the best way forward is for someone kind enough  to carry out a look up for you at any branch of the Suffolk Record office, in Ipswich or Bury St Edmunds or Lowestoft - then you can be sure.

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 11:05 BST (UK) »
If the George born 1799 died 1800 I wouldn't mind betting they had another George soon after.   

The NBI has a George Groom buried at St Margaret's Thrandeston on the 8th December 1800, no age given.

There is also a Robert Groom buried 24th January 1815 age 42.

Jan
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi suffolkmawther yes that is what I am hoping for...may change the title to some more specific for people who have access and are kind enough to do that.

Could you tell me would this area/parish be classed as the village or is it a wider parish area of another name? Or was registration districts only brought it on civil registration?

Thank you Groom, every bit of information helps me to build a bigger picture and enables clues to find the records ,when I found the death of George Groom that made me think it could have been an earlier child who died /or the wrong family as it is george who is my direct line....so I know he didn't die in 1800 as he is 80 on the 1881 census.
What is the NBI?

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
Re: Thrandeston PRs look up please
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 12:58 BST (UK) »
We were and still are a mainly rural agricultural county, we have only towns, villages and hamlets - no cities.  We are known as The Bread Basket of England - although my village at the moment is mostly bright yellow from the Rape seed fields, but there are a lot of wheat fields too.

In the time of your searches, the village of Thrandeston was part of the Hundred of Hartismere.  The county was anciently divided into Hundreds, each hundred had its own Workhouse/Union House.  This remained until changes in the county formed the District Councils.

In the mid 1800s Thrandeston had a population of about 373 on 1,379 acres and 37 perches of land.

In those days, a large Cattle Fair was held in Thrandeston annually on the 31st July - 1st August. 

The people living there at this time were mainly agricultural labourers working on the farms, there were two beerhouses, a blacksmith, a bricklayer, and a wheelwright/shopkeeper (no doubt he was the wheelwright and his wife ran the shop).

There are Suffolk maps at GENUKI and if you go to this page
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/SFK/RegDists.html
(hope that one is not too long - forgot to use the Shrink Link).

Scroll down the list of Hundreds and click on Hartismere and you will see the area.

If you continue down the page, there is a map showing the whole county and the Hundreds, and further on is a map showing the Registration Districts.

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just to add to the info given by Jan

From the Suffolk Burial Index:

George GROOM buried 8 Dec 1800 son of Robert & Elizabeth late Barnard.

Looking at the SBI there are 10 GROOM burials in Thrandeston.  Starting in 1723 with John GROOM son of Enoch.  There seems to be at least 2 couples surname GROOM.  Enoch & Ann/Thomas & Elizabeth.

Thrandeston is a very small parish in the Hartismere Registration District.  Like many Suffolk villages in that area the houses are situated around a common - in the case of Thrandeston there were 2 commons refered to now as Great Green & Little Green.

K

ps.  Plus 2 other burials in the name GROOME

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 13:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Pat that is very helpful

Keziah2 Suffolk Burial Index =SBI, so NBI = Norfolk Burial Index...so that answered that one...I wondered what NBI was..........and thank you for the other details, it all adds to my knowledge of the Grooms/Groome's...and also looks like there are some naming patterns happening as well which can help me