Author Topic: Glamorgan Street, Pimlico  (Read 6485 times)

Offline Natator

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Glamorgan Street, Pimlico
« on: Tuesday 10 May 11 00:25 BST (UK) »
I am interested in the street my grandmother moved to when she remarried immediately after my grandfather - Frederick Hook - died in WW1 in 1914.  

Last Saturday my niece, my cousin and I travelled to Westminster Archives in the hope of learning more about our relative John Thomas Hook , son of Frederick who died, aged 10 on June 22 1918 after swimming in the Thames .  We did not find a report on the inquest or anything else re. the event.

On Saturday, searching the only likely source, the Westminster And Pimlico News, it became clear that the street my grandmother lived in at the time, Glamorgan Street, mentioned frequently in reports of Court Proceedings was of an unsalubrious nature.  I know the street was flooded in the late 1920's.

My grandmother's maiden name was Westall, her married name was Hook, and her second husband's name was Griffiths.  Her given name was Elizabeth.

Any help regarding Glamorgan Street and the area generally would be most welcome.

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
Re: Glamorgan Street, Pimlico
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 14:09 BST (UK) »
I have an old London A-Z and have found Glamorgan St. SW1 - which was close by to Pimlico Pier with a small inlet going off it.

This whole area was redeveloped after the war and there are mainly blocks of flats there now.

For an approximation of where Glamorgan St. was go to google street view and look for Glasgow Terrace/Churchill Gardens and these are on the site where Glamorgan/Rutland St errace were & Glasgow Terrace is still there in some form.

Hope this helps with locating the area.
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline Natator

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 23:17 BST (UK) »

Thanks, that is excellent help. 

Westminster Archives were unable to produce anything to help with pinning down the whereabouts of Glamorgan Street.  I have an up-to-date Master A-Z and the streets you mention are quite clear.  I can see where it was now.

Offline Vicarsue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 January 24 02:03 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother was Elizabeth  Griffiths, nee Hook, nee Westall.  My mother Alice Hannah often told me stories that grandma related to her and she spoke too of Ernie, Alf, Fred, andRita(Marguerite?) her half siblings with great affection. John apparently died in WW1 as a result of Zeppelin raid. He was a boy scout and out on warning duty on his bicycle when killed. My mum often said she remembered two smart aunts visiting the children of Grandma’s first husband, Fredrick in Glamorgan Street.  Grandma was the landlady for the house in Glamorgan Street which was owned by the Duke of Westminster’s Estate. 

Offline Vicarsue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 January 24 11:55 GMT (UK) »
My Mother always said Glamorgan Street was off Lupus Street and there was a public house the Balmoral on the corner and St Gabriels Church further up where all they attended.
The house in Glamorgan Street was a large 3 story building with a basement flat as well.