Author Topic: Hi, Newbie Here-looking for Hampson  (Read 1768 times)

Offline Billycat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi, Newbie Here-looking for Hampson
« on: Wednesday 11 May 11 04:48 BST (UK) »
Hope this is the right place to say Hi. I only started a family search last week and lucky for me I met an archavist who gave me most info already as she married into the family. Happy to have found two convicts.
I am now stuck on the Hampson side. John Hampson (1853) Came to West Aust 1880 -1890. His wife was Elizabeth Exley and they had a few children with them, from Lancashire. He came to be an engine driver and she was a nurse.

Any tips greatly appreciated. I know how lucky I was to find everyone else so easily.
You end up getting quite attached to these people.
Nice to meet you all.

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hi, Newbie Here-looking for Hampson
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 05:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Billycat

Welcome to Rootschat

From FreeBMD http://www.freebmd.org.uk

John HAMPSON married Elizabeth EXLEY, Sep qtr 1879, Wharfedale, 9a 240

Wharfedale is in Yorkshire. They may have left from Liverpool which is in Lancashire.

Do you have any further info about John and Elizabeth, parents names, date of and age at death, names of children. All helps to try and locate them.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Billycat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 05:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks I did see that one but am unsure. I am going next week to check passenger lists but they are not extensive.
She was born in about 1861, he about 1851. So about ten years age difference. When they arrived between 1880 -1890 they had two children with them. There next child was born here in 1892.

From my deductions I think the children were a boy and a girl - one written record says William and Helen. Unfortunately they didnt call all there children by the names given at birth.

One list says his middle name was Ambrose. He came here as a skilled engine driver. It says from Lancshire.

The English cencus records are hard because they are between 1881 and 1891 when all the action was happening.
Thanks.

Offline Billycat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 January 13 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to everyone who has helped in my work with the Hampsons.
I have managed to get back quite far and find lots of information.
I am back in Horwich now around 1829 which is fine for now and will pick up another time.
Thanks once again, everyone had been excellent.
Anyone who wants any information happy to help.