Author Topic: FARR family-Manningford Bruce  (Read 11548 times)

Offline eyles

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FARR family-Manningford Bruce
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 May 12 20:34 BST (UK) »
Forgot to mention we left Ludgershall in 1965 for Australia. Father was Arthur Wheeler-Smith and my mums name is *. ( Born *). I think Eliza Grove who married Elijah Farr was my great great grandmother. Any help would be appreciated. I have also been researching my dads family. I think he was the Arthur Smith birth register 1929 but somehow the family name became wheeler-smith. His mother was edna and I think his grandfather was Frances John who married a Kate Matilda Trueman. Still researching. My fathers mother was not married when she had him but his father is reported to be Bert RIGSBY. I know nothing about this side of the family either. All  relatives so far are in Wiltshire, Pewsey, Devizes. Lots of Annie Marias family buried at North Tidworth cemetery which I believe is all overgrown and hard to find.Annie Maria Farr married Henry Thomas PEARCE. Looking forward to hearing from you will check this site soon or my email is (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

* Moderator Note: details of living person removed in accordance with Rootschat policy
farr, ashton, wheeler-smith,pearce wiltshire, devizes, pewsey,hampshire picture of my great grandmothers house, hampshire cross

Offline ktkat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 December 12 20:43 GMT (UK) »
I have just stumbled across this, I am also researching the Farr family from Manningford Bruce.  One of the names mentioned above is my great grandmother.

Offline Old Mother Reilly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 December 12 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps this is not directly relevant, however I have a little background information regarding the household of Michael Farr (born Manningford Bruce, approx. 1820), Gardener, which speaks to the way those in service moved around and might have to depend upon extended family networks for housing and support. 

Michael Farr married Sarah Hunt (born Milford/Lymington, Hampshire, approx. 1817) in Lymington, Hampshire in Q3 1854. 

In the 1871 census Michael is shown with Mary Ann Hunt (born "Wilts Milford", approx. 1815).  Mary Ann Hunt is the unmarried sister of Sarah (Hunt) Farr.  Mary Ann seems to have gone to Manningford Bruce to live near to the couple after the death of her previous elderly employer on the Isle of Wight. 

Both Sarah and Mary Ann came from a family associated with hamlets near the Hampshire coast (Pennington and Everton) between Milford-On-Sea and Lymington.  They were the daughters of William Hunt (gardener) and his wife, Grace (Paul).  As far as I can tell, all the children of William and Grace went into service.

In 1881 Mary Ann is living a few doors away from Michael and Sarah Farr being visited by members of the Lambert family and Lydia Hunt (she, too, had been a servant and was born in Suffolk), the widow of her brother, William (coachman, baptised Pennington, Hampshire 1819, died in Bath in 1879). 

In 1891 Mary Ann is again in the household of Michael and Sarah Farr (with 10 year old Annie Lambert). 

By 1901 Sarah has died, but Mary Ann and Annie Lambert are living in the household of Michael Farr.  Mary Ann is around 83 years of age and dies herself in June 1901.

Michael Farr died in August 1910 and left an estate of £173 7s 6d to Rev Ed. Tanqueray and Alexander Grant Meek.

Alexander Grant Meek (age 7) is shown on the 1851 Census as a grandson of John Grant Landed Proprietor living 13 Cambridge Place, Clifton, Bristol.  Mary and Sarah Hunt of Milford, Hants were both "house servants" in this same household.
Stevens (Devizes, Calne, Wootton Bassett): Hunt (Milford/Lymington, Calne): Moore/Rudland (Ipswich): Whitlock (Pitton & Farley): Hayter (Whiteparish)

O'Reilly (Sheffield, Flint, L'pool, Co. Longford): Foxton (Sheffield, Northallerton, Thirsk): Spragg (St. Teath, Delabole, Pengelly): Stabb (Berry Pomeroy)

Gore (Newbury, Wigan): Hawkins (Gt Bedwyn/Hungerford): Massey/Wallis (Shalbourne): Mildenhall (Ogbourne): Smith/Lilley (Nhants): Wernham (Chieveley): Woosnam (Mont./Salop): Yaldwyn (Blackdown)