Author Topic: Lancaster Workhouse records  (Read 8040 times)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Lancaster Workhouse records
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 May 11 21:26 BST (UK) »
I can only find the one in Leonard Gate in 1851, shoe maker,

The (T) in Tynemouth, Christ Church records ,do mark the person as dying from Typhoid as there was a epidemic there in the 1830s,

I have googled to see if there was an out break in Lancaster ,I haven't found any thing to say there was ,but I suppose it could be a contained case with in the family, a death certificate would say cause of death ,if the poster decided to pursue this further,

Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline selwynfroggitt

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 May 11 09:58 BST (UK) »
The lancashire Record Offive in Preston has the Asylum records which are available to the public but if you want the LRO to copy them for you it is the standard £20 or £25 no matter how small or large the file

Offline selwynfroggitt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 May 11 10:01 BST (UK) »

I sent for some and although I now know there was little information in the file it could have been different

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 May 11 13:50 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all your help everybody.

The Elizabeth who died two weeks earlier isnt the right Elizabeth, I have her alive in 1861, living with daughter Mary. Not found a death yet for Elizabeth that I can be certain about.

The help is very much appreciated.

Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 May 11 14:03 BST (UK) »
Please could you post link for newspaper archives?

Many thanks

nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 May 11 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hi nicky,
The newspaper archive is a pay-to-view site here
http://newspapers.bl.uk/blcs/

but if your local library subscribes to the site you can view them free; that's how I can search them. So ask your library before you pay up!

Good luck with your search
 :) Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cardboard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 September 18 01:55 BST (UK) »
I have found the death of William Stephenson in 1853, aged 70 and its states he died in the workhouse, would there be any records available which may give more information?
He was buried 6 Feb 1853 at St Marys, Lancaster.
Any help would be great, thanks.
Nicky

William Stephenson 1782 - 1853 -Shoemaker of Lancaster and Elizabeth nee Bispham 1786 - 1853 are my great great great grandparents.