Author Topic: 1891 lookup - Danielsen  (Read 4307 times)

Offline mcnulty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1891 lookup - Danielsen
« on: Wednesday 11 May 11 18:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I know that a Josiah Samuel Thornton Danielsen married a Constance Parkinson in Brighton district in 1900 (FreeBMD). According to 1911 census, he was aged 52 and born in Denmark ( (RG14PN4760 RG78PN204 RD69 SD3 ED10 SN455) .

I am trying to find his roots in Denmark and it would help greatly if I knew where in Denmark he was born - maybe the 1891 census can assist? Can someone try and find him. I have looked in 1881 but without success.

Many thanks,
Ian
McNulty, Cassidy, Entwistle, Robinson, Johnson, Caunce, Crawford, Lindsay, Webster, Anderton

Offline Evie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barnaby
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 lookup - Danielsen
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian

1901 under the name Thornton Danielsen he was born Schle(r)(s)wig  Holstein (Danish subject) (I think)

RG13 Piece: 869 Folio 100 Page 33

evie

Booth, Hornsby, Northumberland & Durham
Jackson, Northumberland & Durham
Douthwaite, N Yorks & Durham
Geldard, N Yorks
Ward, Cheshire & W Yorks
Swallow, Boid, W Yorks
Kirby, Lowe, Studholme, Geary, Emery, Baldock

census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 May 11 07:10 BST (UK) »
Checked out the Hastings 1901 census as well.  He would appear to have had Danish parents but to have been born in Germany.  You would need a copy of his Brighton M Cert to identify his father and his father's occupation to find out more about his Danish Roots.

FreeBMD gives his children as Cecil Francis T Danielsen & Ronald Gower T Danielsen.  Presumably the T was for Thornton.  Cecil's birth is registered under Hastings which contradicts the declaration made on the 1911 census index. 

An interesting contact would be Noaleen Mullholand on Genes Reunited who lists Cecil & Ronald in her ancestry and also has a Josias (that I have yet to find) who she says was born Brighton 1900.  There is a possisibility that she may have inadvertantly used the date of his marriage in the UK.  Roy G

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 May 11 07:50 BST (UK) »
1891 census as requested:

RG12, 738, 55, 15
The Yews, Upper Deal Road, Deal, Kent

Danielsen, Fanny T  Head  Widow  F  57  Living on Own Means  b London, Middlesex
Danielsen, Jos S T  Son  Single  M  33  Living on Own Means  b Schleswig Flensburg
 + cook and page
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 May 11 07:58 BST (UK) »
Cecil's birth is registered under Hastings which contradicts the declaration made on the 1911 census. 

Seems to be the writer of the census form trying to squeeze too much information into a box!

Constance is born Birkenhead, Cheshire.
The boys are born St Leonards, Sussex.

Thornton, Naturalised British Subject 1905.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 May 11 08:08 BST (UK) »
Marriages in UK 1857  (St Martins in the Fields)  GRO ref June quarter 1a 548
IGI ref gives actual date as 4 April 1857
Bride = Fanny Thornton Andrews      to Groom = Joachim August Danielsen 

Three year old Josiah appears without parents is on the 1861 census of the St Martins in the Fields, Chariing Cross district, as Josias Danielsen born Flensbury, Denmark. 
(I only have the index so you would need to see the original to know who was caring for him)   Roy G

Post script.   Thanks Evie, you are right, Fanny is on the 1861, but my index has her as DanielSON  R G

Offline Evie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barnaby
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 May 11 08:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

Head of household is Samuel Andrews,  he is his grandson. Fanny is there as a widow aged 26

evie
Booth, Hornsby, Northumberland & Durham
Jackson, Northumberland & Durham
Douthwaite, N Yorks & Durham
Geldard, N Yorks
Ward, Cheshire & W Yorks
Swallow, Boid, W Yorks
Kirby, Lowe, Studholme, Geary, Emery, Baldock

census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 May 11 10:37 BST (UK) »
The mother, Fanny Thornton DanielSON. died in Bath England in 1900 (FreeBMD)

Her son's Naturalisation papers are in the UK National Archives. Reference HO 144/817/138587
Nationality and Naturalisation: Danielsen, Josias Samuel Thornton, from Denmark.
Resident in St.Leonards-on-Sea.      Certificate 15962 issued 7 May 1906.

The family status with servants, and birthplace of Josias and his father suggests a connection with a significant Danish family of that name also from FLENSBURG
Internet site
    http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.ceeurope.germany.schleswig.general/1815/mb.ashx

I abstacted the following from the above site:
1st Generation
PETER DANIELSEN, Mayor and shipowner of Flensburg, married to MARIA DANIELSEN
2nd Generation
PAUL DANIELSEN (1729-1788) Merchant in Flensburg married to LUCIA MAGDALENA HEMP(R)ING (ca.1732-1787) fr. Flensburg
3rd Generation
JOACHIM DANIELSEN (1760-1844) Merchant in Flensburg married 1791, to ELSABE AMALIA JEBSEN (1773-1811) from Husum
4th Generation
JOSIAS JEBSEN DANIELSEN married to CATHARINA MARIA SCHMIDT
one son: AUGUST JOACHIM DANIELSEN (a reversal of the first names of Fanny's husband)
one daughter: ANNA AMALIA DANIELSEN

If there is a connection, it would appear he had relatives that made their way to USA and also had a mention in the following entry about Christian Otto Mohr on the German version of Wikipedia.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Otto_Mohr

Roy G

Offline mcnulty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 18:40 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all the info.

I have managed to find some census info here in Denmark (I am a resident here), but unfortunately birth records for Flensburg are not covered by Danish records - Flensburg seemed to have moved between DK and Germany over history.

Still haven't managed to find the Danielsens in 1881 - must have been mistranscripted, missed or whatever.

Cheers,
Ian
McNulty, Cassidy, Entwistle, Robinson, Johnson, Caunce, Crawford, Lindsay, Webster, Anderton