Author Topic: Boswell of Auchinlek link??  (Read 4428 times)

Offline Bob E

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Boswell of Auchinlek link??
« on: Friday 13 May 11 13:25 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find the relationship between
James Boswell 1740 - 1795 ( The biographer )
and my Great great great grandfather
Robert Boswell 1746 - 1804 ( the Psalmist )
I suppose they could be brothers or cousins...
I have a pair of minatures of Robert and his wife and also a memo written by his Granddaughter which states that he died whilst giving out the text of his sermon  1st Epistle of St Peter Ch 1 v 24 & 25  on 1 Apr 1804 
The query is whether this man is a relative of the Boswell who toured Scotland with Dr. Johnson...

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Boswell of Auchinlek link??
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 May 11 14:08 BST (UK) »
Jame Boswell's  two brothers were Lieutenant John Boswell (1743–c.1798), and David Boswell (1748–1826), who later took the name Thomas before David. Robert Boswell,  (1746–1804), Glasite preacher, was a descendant of the Auchinleck family in Ayrshire. (Oxford Dictionary of National Biography)

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bob E

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 May 11 16:04 BST (UK) »
Stan,
Thanks for the reply but...
I think both of these Boswells were from the Auchinlek family.. (Indeed almost certain. They are included in the Scottish records under Boswell of Auchinlek.)
So if James' brothers were John and Thomas David, I think (looking at Birth and death dates) that James and Robert were probably cousins...
But so far I cannot find confirmation of this..
Thanks again
Cheers Bob E...

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 May 11 16:08 BST (UK) »
Stan,
Thanks for the reply but...
I think both of these Boswells were from the Auchinlek family.. (Indeed almost certain. They are included in the Scottish records under Boswell of Auchinlek.)

James Boswell was the eldest son of Alexander Boswell, Lord Auchinleck (1707–1782), and his first wife, Euphemia, née Erskine (bap. 1718, d. 1766). He was heir to the Auchinleck estate in Ayrshire.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bob E

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 May 11 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Stan...
Just doing some more investigation on
http://www.jamesboswell.info

Came up with
James 1672-1749 & Elizabeth Bruce
                             |
       |                                          |                                          |
Alexander 1707-1782       James 1710-1780            John 1710-1780
       |                                                                                       |
   JAMES ( Biographer) 1740-1795                             ROBERT  1746-1804

So their fathers were brothers and they are cousins......
But their respective Fathers have the same birth and death dates...Which looks "fishey"..
Can anyone check/confirm this for me ?
Cheers Bob E...

Offline Bob E

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 May 11 22:02 BST (UK) »
Sorry  Slight Error in my last post
It should read James and John sons of James and Elizabeth Bruce have the same birth and death dates....
sorry my cockup..
Cheers Bob E..

Offline Humphreyjohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Bob

James Boswell (1740-1795) the biographer and your ancestor Robert Boswell (1746-1804) the lawyer, Glasite preacher and psalm-composer, were first cousins.

Their common grandparents, James Boswell (1675-1749) and Elizabeth Bruce (1671-1739) had one daughter [Veronica, who married David Montgomerie and later became James Boswell Biographer's mother-in-law] and also two sons who survived into adulthood:

(1) Alexander Boswell (1701-1782), later Lord Auchinleck, lawyer, who married Euphemia Erskine. They had three sons: James Boswell (1740-1795) the biographer, John Boswell (1743-1790) an army officer, never married, and David Boswell (1748-1826) - aka Thomas David Boswell - a businessman

(2) John Boswell (1710-1780) a medical doctor and censor of the College Physicians, who married Anne Cramond. Their son Robert (1746-1804) was your relative. 

It appears that John did have a twin brother James born in 1710, but I believe he died in infancy, as did a couple of siblings named David.

Best regards
John Humphrey

Offline Justjulie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 November 11 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bob
Robert Boswell 1746 - 1804 ( the Psalmist )is my 5x Great Grandfather through his daughter Margaret Catherine Boswell (one of his 14 children)
Great picture thanks for posting it, you mention also having a miniature of his wife,Sibella Sandeman, I would love to see that if possible.
I have done a fair bit of research and would love to compare notes with you, which of Roberts children are you descended from?

Cheers Julie
Stopher, Carnegie, Boswell, Pinson, Roxburgh

Offline Alan Boswell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 April 20 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Bob
Robert Boswell 1746 - 1804 ( the Psalmist )is my 5x Great Grandfather through his daughter Margaret Catherine Boswell (one of his 14 children)
Great picture thanks for posting it, you mention also having a miniature of his wife,Sibella Sandeman, I would love to see that if possible.
I have done a fair bit of research and would love to compare notes with you, which of Roberts children are you descended from?

Cheers Julie
Hi Bob,

I have just added Robert Boswell 1746-1801 to Wikitree, and it would be great to add your pictures of him and his wife so they can be seen by a wider audience. If you don't want to do that yourself, then please contact me to see what we can arrange.

Alan Boswell