Author Topic: For 'Linmey' re Woodhams from Bedfordshire  (Read 47137 times)

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: For 'Linmey' re Woodhams from Bedfordshire
« Reply #36 on: Monday 30 May 11 11:13 BST (UK) »
Perhaps there are tombstones in Streatley churchyard which could prove the relationship

The Beds FHS in 2008 transcribed the Monumental Inscriptions of Streatley, St Margaret as surveyed by A Weight Matthews sometime between 1907-1916. I will take a look through the document at our next meeting this coming Friday.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Jill123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 30 May 11 11:44 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, JohnP, much obliged.
                         Jill

Offline Jill123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 30 May 11 12:07 BST (UK) »
Orpheus - I've downloaded that will from the National Archives and it is William Woodham b 1811, butcher. He left everything to his second wife, Elizabeth Smyth Woodham, but it doesn't say exactly what only 'all the real and personal estate'. So no more clues or information there I'm afraid.  Ever onwards.............!
                   Jill

Offline Jill123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hello again Orpheus, JohnP and everyone else who has helped;
    I have just downloaded  the will of William Woodham b 1756 Cambs & d 1833 Gamlingay from The National Archives (thanks for the tip of searching their site). It seems he left most things to his d in law Susannah Careless Woodham, wife of his son Samuel c1782-1831.  He also made bequests to  his sons Thomas and William both b Gamlingay about 1781-91, and his daughter Mary b 1815 who it seems married a Mr Manning. This Mr Manning was probably Enoch Manning a.....wait for it...a baptist dissenting minister! Just as we thought - dissenters in the Woodham family. Also, Samuel's son William 1821-1899 seems to have married Caroline Savil at the same time as William TRUSTAM married Eliza Savil - remember my William Woodham b 1838 was at a boarding school run by a William TRUSTHEIM and his wife Eliza?
   Plus, I've just found this:-

Earl of Feversham
Level    Item
Title    Abstract of title of Claydon to cottage at Gamlingay
Date    1848
Description    2 January 1773 Mortgage for £80 to Thomas Holben of Eyeworth, yeoman by Mary Mead of Gamlingay widow (nee Cawthorne) niece and heir of J. Cawthorne of Gamlingay, grocer, who was son and devisee of William Cawthorne of Gamlingay, butcher. Messuage occupied by Mary Mead, daughter of Mary M. above and James Williamson, abutting west on highway to Potton east, on cottage occupied Thomas Clarke, on cottage formerly Nicholas Fickis, then Mrs Reddall, widow and then J. Willson. 11/12 june 1779. Conveyance by M. Mead to William Woodham of Gamlingay malster for £140 (out of which £81-15-6 was paid to Holben in repayment of mortgage) The term of 500years created by the mortgage was assigned to J. Pedley of Potton, gent. 14 April 1832. Will of William Woodham leaving a messuage purchased by me of my late mother in law Mary Mead, to daughter Mary Manning Proved P.C.C. 30 August 1833. 16 March 1842. Conveyance by Reverend Enoch Manning dissenting minister and wife Mary to William Claydon of Gamlingay draper and grocer, for £350. 24 March 1842 Mortgage by Claydon to Manning for £250. William Claythorne of Gamlingay Butcher, J.C. of Gamlingay, butcher and Mary C=Mead to Mary M=William Woodham of Gamlingay, malster. Mary W=Enoch Manning, Baptist Minister of Gamlingay.
ReferenceNo    FE 486
Repository    Huntingdonshire Archives

So, could you please agree/disagree to what I now think my Woodham tree could be...
     William Woodham  1756-1833 Cambs. married Mary Mead 1754-1824. They have at least three children - Samuel 1782-1831; William abt 1783, a malster (maltser?) and who still seems to be alive and living in Streatley in 1851 and married to Sarah (Hutchinson?) who gave birth to 'my' William Woodham b abt 1811 prob Gamlingay, who became a butcher; and lastly, son Thomas b abt 1785 d 1871. All these sons were born in Gamlingay.
    Samuel marries Susannah Careless and has 9 children - Susannah 1813-66; Rhoda 1816-96 and marries John Smith; Ann 1817 - 37; Mary 22 Feb 1815 who marries Mr Manning; Sarah 1820-62 who marries Samuel Cocking; William 1821-99;Elizabeth 1825; Nodes (?) 1828-74 and Samuel 1830-51.
    Can you tell me if I have  made any glaring mistakes anywhere? Or could this really be the breakthrough I've been looking for for nearly five years? If it is, I couldn't have done it without all of your imputs.
        Best wishes,
                     Jill

Offline Jill123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 15:27 BST (UK) »
.......sorry, that last bit should have read 'my' William Woodham b abt 1811 BARTON, BEDS.
            Jill

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 16:05 BST (UK) »
I don't think there's any way that William born c1811 was born in Barton, Beds. See reply #32 below.

The Woodhams didn't pitch up in Streatley until after 1817, and I doubt if William moved to Barton before the mid 1830s

I think William was the one born in St Neots in 1809

David
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Jill123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 17:12 BST (UK) »
Of course, you're right, David; thanks. I even have a BIG note saying 'Not Barton!' So it's William Woodham b abt 1809 St Neots/Gamlingay. If baptists baptise when adult why were Samuel and Susannah's 4 daughters baptised as babies, I wonder? (1813-1819)
    Thanks again,
                     Jill

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
re Woodhams from Bedfordshire
« Reply #43 on: Friday 03 June 11 23:01 BST (UK) »
from the Streatley Monumental Inscriptions.....

0008 Headstone
In memory of Susan Woodham wife of William Woodham who died 17th Dec 1838 aged 30 years

0009 Headstone
In memory of William Woodham who died 14 June 1819 in the 37th year of his age

0010 Headstone
Sacred to the memory of Elizabeth wife of the late William Woodham of Barton and the yougest daughter of Thomas and Phoebe Smyth of Sharpenhoe who departed this life Feb 14th 1872 aged 61 years

Clement - Croydon

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 03 June 11 23:07 BST (UK) »
0015 Headstone
In memory of William Woodham who departed this life on June 20th 1858 aged 81 years

0016 Headstone
In memory of Susan wife of William Woodham who died March 30th 1852 aged 64 years. Also of David Woodham son of the above who died Oct 10th 1844 aged 27

that's all the Woodhams, note graves 0001 to 0007 and 0011 to 0014 are all Smyths & a few Kidmans.. If you want them - it'll be tomorrow...
Clement - Croydon