Author Topic: For 'Linmey' re Woodhams from Bedfordshire  (Read 47118 times)

Offline Nosaj Rolyat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: For 'Linmey' re Woodhams from Bedfordshire
« Reply #90 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 14:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that, I did just as you say, she responded to say that her "Pikes" were in Wiltshire and nothing to do with my "Pikes" based 20 miles away in Taunton.

My father was born in the Workhouse in Burnley and his father is not mentioned on his Birth Certificate, do you know how I might be able to find his father without knowing his fathers name at birth.

Many thanks for your help

Jason

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 14:52 BST (UK) »
What name did your father give for his father on his marriage certificate?

If no name was given you're probably stuck, unless he was baptised and a friendly vicar added a father's name

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Nosaj Rolyat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 15:06 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

There is no name for his father on the birth certificate and I don't know if he was baptised, he was a choir boy in Burnley so there is a possibility there, where would I start to find baptism for 1937

Regards,

Jason

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 17:39 BST (UK) »
David - before this Pike conversation goes on a bit further, perhaps you'd get the mods to attach it to the original Devon topic to stop confusing this Woodhams thread.

cheers john
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Saturday 08 October 11 19:37 BST (UK) »
A Bedfordshire Historical Record Society publication, vol 68, 1989, “The Bedford Moravian Church in the Eighteenth Century” contains a reference to John Woodham, which is worth recording.

The book includes a scan of ‘Catalogue of the Bedford Congregation’ showing the first Brothers. The second entry reads:
John Woodham, Church of England, husbandman. Born Sharnbrook in Bedfordshire
10 May 1716. Received/baptised 27 Oct 1744. First admitted to the Sacrament 9 Dec 1744. Office: Intercessor 3 June 1745. Marryd to Eliz. Payne 2 Feb 1744/5 (at Bedford St Paul per IGI). Became widower 30 Jan 1748/9 (Elizabeth Woodham age 26 buried at Bedford Moravian 1 Feb 1749 per NBI), Married again to Sus. Parker 1756 (10 Feb 1757 at Bedford St Paul per IGI) Excluded for bad behaviour 1757 (Pell’s wife had laid a charge against him). Departed. (his wife Susannah appears to have stayed in the Moravian community for there’s a Susannah Woodham age 79 buried at Bedford Moravian on 9 Feb 1792)

There’s also the wording of his settlement certicate: To the Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor of the parish of St Peters Bedford, from the Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor of the parish of Warden in Bedfordshire ………..that John Woodham and his wife Elizabeth are inhabitants legally settled in the said parish of Warden. Dated 22 November 1746.

So at some stage he moved from Sharnbrook to Warden (which is next door to Southill)

I don’t know if he was connected to the Southill Woodhams, or if it’s just coincidence that he lived at Old Warden. I can’t see an obvious burial for him.

David
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline emilysiobhan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 12:23 BST (UK) »
 Just came across this thread the other day and I think I may be conoodnected to the Woodhams via the Sarah Woodham/Simms mentioned in the will of John Woodham d.1772 in Gamlingay.

"He also bequeaths to 'the children of Edward Simms? by my daughter Sarah Simms? Then he bequeaths to the children of 'my late son Benning Woodham' (ah-ha! Benning and Benjamin were brothers!) and to the widow of Benning. It also leaves messuages etc to' Rebecca my loving wife' in Gamlingay."

Edward Simms 1717-1773 from Southill m. to Sarah is my 6x g.grandfather and there is a marriage of a Edward Simms to a Sarah Woodham in Marston Moretaine in 1745 which would fit with the subsequent baptisms of their children from 1746 onwards in Southill (and just noticed that their first 2 children seem to be a John and a Barbara, the names of Sarah's parents). Not sure why they would have been married in Marston Moretaine, although it doesn't seem so far from Southill.

Am still trying to sort all the various Woodham's from the thread in my head but am happy to provide what further info I have on Edward and Sarah's descendents if anyone wants it.

Best regards,

Emily
Cork: Collins,
Herts/Beds:  Pope,Harwood
Essex:  Bryant, Pumfrey, Williams, Keyes,Totham, Citchen
Surrey/London: Shields, Woolf, Cooper, Quinton, Plumer
other: Cuskern,  Domazsewicz
Wales: Morgan, Mathews, Thomas (x2), Trew, Protheroe, Owen

Census information is Crown copyright

Offline tickle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Emily

The Woodhams, as you've gathered, are a very widespread and complex bunch of folk. First question, how do you know Benjamin and Benning are brothers? Benjamin in John Woodham's will is apparently a mistranscription by the scribe, ( although a Benjamin Woodham is buried at Everton in 1768, which could also be a mishearing of Benning,)
Everton cum Tetworth registers  - the originals are at Huntingdon.
    Buried in the year 1646 Elizabeth Woodham May 6 Affidavit before Mr Foley
    1765 Joseph Woodham buried September 10
    1768 Benjamin Woodham a married man of Biggleswade buried Mar 3.

Edward Sims and Sarah were married at MM:
Marston Moretaine Register:
"Married in ye Year 1745
Edward Sims & Sarah Woodham L both of Southwell in this County June ye 23rd." (L for Licence. Non-conformist families usually married away from their home parish in case the vicar tried to mend their erring ways by baptising them first!)

So you are definitely one of the clan!

I would like your descent from the Simms please, and in return I'll supply a few more details on the Woodhams if you need them.

Tickle

Alder - Berks
Benning/Bening - Middx, & Cambs
Brook - Suffolk/Cambs
Burton - Herts
Petley - Suffolk
Death - Suffolk
Ellington - Suffolk/Cambs
Elsworth - New York
Fayers/Faiers/Faires - Suffolk
Grasemann - Germany & London
Howels - Hants
Mitchell - Sussex, Surrey
Oldham - Lancs
Priest - Hants
Raines - Co Cork, Ireland
Rysdyck/Rysdyke - Netherlands, & New York
Ryder - Cheshire/Lancs
Sanders - Hants
Urmson - Cheshire
Willis - Suffolk
Woodham - Cambs, Beds, Essex

Offline emilysiobhan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Friday 13 June 14 11:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Tickle,

I actually have no idea if Benning/Benjamin are brothers/the same person as I was just trying to quote that bit with the Simms link from post 41 (but used copy and paste rather than doing it properly).

My Simms descendency: Edward Simms and Sarah Woodham had at least 7 children in Southill. Their daughter Rachel Simms (c.1758) married William Harwood 11/10/1784 in Southill and they had 8 children in Arlesey and Clifton.

William and Rachel's youngest son Thomas Harwood (c. 1797) (my 4x ggrandfather) had 9 children in Clifton/Shefford with Elizabeth Wortley/Worrely although I can't find a marriage for them anywhere but I have the birth cert of one of their children.

Thomas and Elizabeth's oldest daughter Emma Harwood m Ephrain Pope from Welwyn in Clifton in 1849. Their son Charles Henry (b.1862 in Shefford) is my g g grandfather and the family moved to London in the 1860's.
So my Simms descendency actually turns into Harwoods and Pope's rather quickly.

Regarding the Woodhams, I haven't had time to sort them all out in my head completely yet, but think I understand it mostly as far back as John (d1772) being the son of Thomas b1659 in Knotting and Susannah Webb.
Thomas is descended from Twyford and Mary but then I don't seem to find anywhere a christening or marriage for Twyford (although I did find some online trees with him being born 1635 and marrying at the age of 11 in 1646!?!)
Twyford is possibly the son of Thomas Woodham and Elizabeth Throgmorton???

Hope the above all makes some sense...

With best regards,

Emily
Cork: Collins,
Herts/Beds:  Pope,Harwood
Essex:  Bryant, Pumfrey, Williams, Keyes,Totham, Citchen
Surrey/London: Shields, Woolf, Cooper, Quinton, Plumer
other: Cuskern,  Domazsewicz
Wales: Morgan, Mathews, Thomas (x2), Trew, Protheroe, Owen

Census information is Crown copyright

Offline tickle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Friday 13 June 14 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Emily

Thanks for the info which I have put onto my database. Charles Henry's children are 5th cousins twice removed, so you and I are 'distant' cousins.

I'm as sure as I can be that Thomas Woodham's (1659-1739) parents were Twyford and Mary, and his parents were Thomas (c1610 - 1673) and Elizabeth (maybe Throckmorton, though I can't pin that one down,) and his parents John Woodham and Agnes, but that is also not proven. By now we're back to Sharnbrook at the end of the 16th century. So many of them were non-conformists, that unless there is a marriage with detail, (rare in 17th century,) or a will, they are extremely hard to sort out. The initial research took nearly 15 years and was an absolute nightmare.

Pleased to 'meet' you.

Take care

Tickle
Alder - Berks
Benning/Bening - Middx, & Cambs
Brook - Suffolk/Cambs
Burton - Herts
Petley - Suffolk
Death - Suffolk
Ellington - Suffolk/Cambs
Elsworth - New York
Fayers/Faiers/Faires - Suffolk