Author Topic: Penistone MI Lookup  (Read 2061 times)

Offline dlech

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Penistone MI Lookup
« on: Friday 13 May 11 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Can anyone please check for information on William Cotton, died 13 Mar 1675, buried 17 Mar 1675 and Eleanor Cotton, died ? Nov 1699, buried 30 Nov 1699 ? Both are said to be buried in Penistone. I realize the chances of a readable stone are slim, but I hope their is no harm in asking.

Thanks
Don

Offline Samueller

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Penistone MI Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 May 11 11:50 BST (UK) »
Don, 
Your hopes are justified.  99 years ago the Penistone MIs were transcribed and only last year I digitised the transcript for Barnsley Archives & Local Studies.  The COTTONs were Gentry, so were able to afford burial in the church itself, and their memorials are in the floor.  I will check tomorrow when I attend church, but I suspect that the epitaphs are no longer visible because they are in the north aisle and at one end an office has been walled off and at the other there is now a kitchenette and also toilets.  Anyway:

Here lyeth the Body of Susannah COTTON Daughter of Wm and Elinor COTTON of Nether Denby in the Parish of Penyston, who dyed the 22nd and was buried the 25th of October 1677.

Here lyeth the Body of John COTTON Son of William and Elinor COTTON who died the 10th and was buried the 12th of September 1671.

Here lyeth the Body of William COTTON of Nether Denby, Gentleman, who deptd this Life the 13th and was buried the 17th of March Anno 1674.  Spe Resurrectionis. 

Here was Interred the Body of Anne COTTON, Daughter of Wm and Elinor COTTON of Nether Denby.  July 28th 1682.
And also the Body of Mary COTTON, Daughter of the same Wm and Elinor COTTON.  December the 25th 1682.

(Nothing for Elinor.)

Sam
Weller: Bucks, Oxford, Kent, Sussex
Aylward: Hants
Morton: Hants
Thorburn: Lancs; Peeblesshire, Roxburghshire
Thorbrand: Roxburghshire
Parlane: Lancs; Renfrewshire
Goldschmidt: Lancs; Germany
Kassell: Yorks
Hewes: Northants; Leics; Yorks

Offline dlech

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 May 11 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Sam,

Thank you very much for the information. The transcription for William I find especially interesting in that it corrects a death year I had found on a iron industry history site that was said to have gotten it's information from the Oxford DNB. The 13 Mar 1674 date makes more sense with respect to his will being dated 24 Feb 1674. After years of researching my German lines, the Cotton line is my first chance to research in England. So I have a lot to learn. Thank you again for your help. :)

Don

Offline Samueller

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 May 11 20:05 BST (UK) »
You're welcome.

As expected, the COTTON grave slabs are not visible now.

Others requiring Penistone church, Midhopestones church or Netherfield chapel MI look-ups can either ask me and I will do it when I have an opportunity or contact Barnsley Archives and get a quicker answer.  archives@barnsley.gov.uk.  Tel 01226 773950.

Sam.

Offline bonnington

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sam,

I've just been told by a gentleman at Barnsley archives they do not have a copy of St John's parish church, Penistone MIs.    Then I read your comment about having digitised the transcript for them.   Just checking with you that they do actually have the MIs before I go back to them.

Bonnington

Offline Samueller

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bonnington,

The actual transcript of St John's, Penistone MIs is in Penistone library but Barnsley archives certainly have them on a CD from my digitiing of them, so I suggest you try again.  If need be, ask to speak to a long-standing staff member.  However, Barnsley Archives shut to the public only yesterday in preparation for a move to the Town Hall next year, and I am not certain how well the staff are able to deal with enquiries.  If they are not able to help you, send me a PM of the name(s) you are researching and I will do a look-up next time I visit Penistone library.

Sam

Offline bonnington

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 November 12 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sam,

Many thanks for your response.   I do appreciate that Barnsley Archives are going through a difficult time at the moment but I will get back to them.

Thanks for your kind offer.   I am actually visiting WRY shortly and will go to Penistone library to look at the MIs.   I can then call in t St John's parish church again.

Kind Regards

Bonnington

Offline Samueller

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 November 12 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bonnington,

Be aware that Penistone library is closed all day on Wednesdays and on Saturdays is only open in the morning.  The church is always open on Thursday and Saturday mornings and of course Sunday mornings but at other times you may find it locked, so if you are planning on coming another day send me a PM and we can try to arrange a time when I can ensure it is open for you.

Sam.

Offline bonnington

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sam,

Many thanks for this.   I should be able to plan my visit with this in mind.

Kind Regards

Bonnington