Author Topic: Druery - COMPLETED  (Read 3458 times)

Offline Scawfell Dyke

• RootsChat Member
  • Seathwaite Miners
    • View Profile
Druery - COMPLETED
« on: Saturday 14 May 11 15:39 BST (UK) »
A friend of mine is descended from a Whitehaven mariner called Joshua Druery (born about 1805), who died in Belfast in 1851. He married Mary Linton in 1832. In 1838, he survived being shipwrecked off the Isle of Man, along with his brother in law, Robert Gelling. He appeared to have no connection with any Druerys who were recorded in the area, and I believe he was born in Ireland.

Anyone have a link?

Regards,

Stephen

Offline Susie B

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Druery
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephen,
I am descended from Joshua Druery and Mary Linton.  He was born in Briston, Norfolk.   His death date and location have eluded me for years.  Does your friend have specifics on exactly where and when he was buried? I am also interested to know how exactly he is related to his shipwrecked brother in law.

Thanks..Susie B

Offline Scawfell Dyke

• RootsChat Member
  • Seathwaite Miners
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Susie,

Have you proof that he was born in Norfolk? I've tried researching him a few times and didn't find anything to link him with that area. I couldn't find his burial at the three main churchyards in Whitehaven, so I've concluded he was buried in Belfast.

Robert Gelling married Hannah Linton at Holy Trinity, Whitehaven, on 19 Aug 1831 - but they called him Robert Gallan.

Stephen

Offline Susie B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephen,

My grandmother who was the grandaughter of Joshua always said her family came from Norfolk.

Joshua was baptized in Briston, Norfolk in 1804.  I have seen the microfiche.   Joshua's son, William, moved from Whitehaven to Fakenham, Norfolk to live with his uncle John Druery, brother of Joshua (confirmed in census).  Joshua appears to be the only mariner in the family.

Thank you for the info on the Robert Gelling and Hannah Linton marriage.

The disastrous shipwreck of the "Industry" did claim the lives of the Capt. Wm Atkinson and Mate John Linton, possibly relatives of the Lintons.  I am thinking that perhaps John Linton was a brother or nephew of Mary and Hannah Linton?  Also, Mary and Hannah's mother Sarah, was an Atkinson!

What compels you to think that Joshua Druery ended up in Belfast?  Family "lore" had it that he died very suddenly at sea.  As I too could not find any burial reference in Whitehaven, concluded that perhaps he had been buried at sea.  I did not know that Belfast was a possibility.  Are you calculating his death year from 1851 census where Mary Linton is listed as a widow? 

Susie

Offline Scawfell Dyke

• RootsChat Member
  • Seathwaite Miners
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Susie,

The Pacquet of 25 Mar 1851 announced: "On Tuesday, at Belfast, on board the Whitehaven Steam-ship Queen, Mr. Joseph Drewery, mariner, aged 45 years; much respected".

John Linton was 25 when buried in Malew, so he was Mary's brother (born 1813). I concluded a few months back that Atkinson was probably their cousin, but more detailed research needs to be done on him.

Valerie McIntosh descends from Joshua's daughter, Dorothy Wear.

Stephen

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 19:26 BST (UK) »
The Times of 6 April 1838 carries a paragraph (credited to "Cumberland Packet") on that shipwreck.  No names mentioned.

PM me your e-mail address if you want it. :)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Scawfell Dyke

• RootsChat Member
  • Seathwaite Miners
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 19:34 BST (UK) »
I've seen the Pacquet report of the time. They would have copied it verbatim.

Stephen