Author Topic: Reid, Davidson in Insch 1696 and connections  (Read 8753 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Reid, Davidson in Insch 1696 and connections
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 15 March 20 10:19 GMT (UK) »
John Davidson (1781-1861) was my 3rd great grandfather. He farmed at Hatton of Ardoyne in the parish of Oyne.

1781, June 17th. John lawful son to Alexander Davidson and Margaret Wright in Tofthill of Auchline was baptised before the congregation. George Gilles and Alexander Mearns in Auchline witnesses. [Clatt Parish Register]

Does he fit into any of your families?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline rosneath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 15 March 20 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ledingham1

In my Davidson tree, I have at least 10 Ledinghams but not in the direct line that I can tell.  Closest is Elizabeth Ledingham 1819-1895 that married George Cooper of Wraes.  Their son John Alexander Cooper married my great grandmother Jeannie Davidson nee Allan after her first husband (my great grandfather) died.

Another is Elspeth Ledingham 1781-1865 who married John Davidson, a 2nd cousin of my great great grandfather (I think I have the greats right!)

I didn't know about the royal connection, I'd always assumed there was no Stuart connection at all.  I'd love to know more.
Armstrong and Cotter (Co. Cork),  Cooper and Davidson (Aberdeenshire), Cosgrove (Co. Down/Co. Longford),
Cotter (London/Cornwall), Ker (Edinburgh/Roxburgh), Martyn (Cornwall), Orpen/Palmer (Co. Kerry), Pryn (Cornwall), Garnett/Radcliff (Co. Meath),
Wilkie (Roxburgh)

Offline carom

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 15 March 20 13:32 GMT (UK) »
My Davidson line farmed in Ellon and Udny from the late 1600's.
I also have Ledinghams from Premnay, the earliest I've found is John
b. abt. 1757.

Offline rosneath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 26 March 20 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

My earliest Ledinghams that I can track seem to be Elspeth (1781 Insch - 1865 Cusalmond) and her brother John (1791 - 1851+) who might be the children of James Ledingham (1739 Premnay - ?) and Helen Anderson (1757 - ).

Do they link to anyone else?

Isabel
Armstrong and Cotter (Co. Cork),  Cooper and Davidson (Aberdeenshire), Cosgrove (Co. Down/Co. Longford),
Cotter (London/Cornwall), Ker (Edinburgh/Roxburgh), Martyn (Cornwall), Orpen/Palmer (Co. Kerry), Pryn (Cornwall), Garnett/Radcliff (Co. Meath),
Wilkie (Roxburgh)