Author Topic: Swaffham Prison  (Read 5649 times)

Offline Ridgeback

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Swaffham Prison
« on: Saturday 14 May 11 21:33 BST (UK) »
Good evening

I have just found on the 1871 census that one of my ancestors spent some time in Swaffham Prison, I wonder if anyone has any information on this and or where I could find the reason that he spent time there

Regards
Northamptonshire, Norfolk, USA

Offline maudarby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Swaffham Prison
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 May 11 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi
Your ancestor should appear in the Criminal Registers on Ancestry. Depending on the severity of the crime there may be a report in the newspaper.
If you need a look up in either post your ancestor's name & details.
Maudarby

Offline Ridgeback

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 May 11 00:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, I found him in the Criminal Register, he served 6 months for Larceny.

Regards

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 14:44 BST (UK) »
I have carried out a lot of research relating to the prison at Swaffham. I will be publishing a book next year, I hope. Watch this space.

Teddy
 ;)
Bear, Burrows, Burroughs, Goll, Mayes, Yull, Bacon, Harvey, Fenn, Youngman, Jary, Lake, Chesney, Yaxley, Freestone, Briggs, Carrington, Frarey, Blaxter, Bennefer, Gosman, Howard, Wildman, Woodbine, Jessop, Taylor, Walpole, etc etc  all in Norfolk.
Weasenham village history and families connected to the villages of Weasenham All Saints & Saint Peter in Norfolk.  Happy to carry out research in Norfolk.  Please PM for details.

Offline Ridgeback

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 17:03 BST (UK) »
Look forward to reading it Teddybear, if you could let us know when it is published

Regards

Offline Sezzyc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 October 12 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I have found my ancestor Jeremiah Lambert of Gooderstone on Ancestry's criminal Register. He was found guilty of  Larceny in 1844 & 1846 at Swaffham county court sessions. For his first offence he was imprisoned for 1 month for the 2nd he was imprisoned for 6 months. There was a sentence on in the offence column that i couldn't read on the 1846 record :(

I have a couple of questions:

A) As he was tried at Swaffham court sessions is it safe to assume he was imprisoned at Swaffham?
B) Is there any kind of prison admission/release records that I could use to confirm he was there?
C) I have seen the basic criminal register entry on Ancestry would there be any other court papers or newspaper articles even to give me a little more detail e.g what he stole?

More generally does anybody have or know where i might find a picture of the Prison or addition general information?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Many Thanks,

Sarah

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 October 12 22:15 BST (UK) »
VERY few records exist for Swaffham Prison. I have been researching the subject for a book and there is nothing in the Record Office in Norwich apart from a few plans. The newspapers could give more information if you have the date.

I have sent you a dm and look forward to your reply.

Teddy
 ;)
Bear, Burrows, Burroughs, Goll, Mayes, Yull, Bacon, Harvey, Fenn, Youngman, Jary, Lake, Chesney, Yaxley, Freestone, Briggs, Carrington, Frarey, Blaxter, Bennefer, Gosman, Howard, Wildman, Woodbine, Jessop, Taylor, Walpole, etc etc  all in Norfolk.
Weasenham village history and families connected to the villages of Weasenham All Saints & Saint Peter in Norfolk.  Happy to carry out research in Norfolk.  Please PM for details.

Offline aussiemike78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 March 16 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi there!

I have just read your posts about Swaffham Prioson, of which my Great Grandfather (x4) was Governor. Have you written your book, or, have any further information about Edward Amond Johnson?

Many thanks!

Michael Colling.

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 March 16 07:42 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Mike

I have sent you a DM, we can talk without taking the board over. :)

Teddy
 :)