Author Topic: Catherine(Kathleen) Burbridge  (Read 8009 times)

Offline apricotnelli

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine(Kathleen) Burbridge
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 January 14 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Richard and Mary Ann Maguire were my gt gt grandparents. He was from Meath originally and his father was Edward and his mother Anna. The family say that originally they were from Roscommon or Leitrim area.
There are lots and lots of Burbridge families in those counties in the early 1800s. There may be only a few now but Burbridge was a plentiful name before the famine
I doubt they are related to the Wicklow family though there is a daughter Kathleen. However I dont really know. Catherine or Kathleen (both were used interchangeably) was a very common name then

I got most of the info on them simply by googling Dublin records are online. There is a related family in the UK on ancestry

About Burbridge, Richard
1911 leaving on Malpas terrace Merchants Qua
y

-------------------------------------------------
7436 - Richard Burbridge
Height: 5 feet 11 5/8 inches

A Roman Catholic labourer from Dunsany, County Meath

Served in
“C” Division (24 Jun 1870)
“E” Division (23 Oct 1874)
“A” Division (14 Jun 1878)

Pensioned on 20 Jul 1900
(Pension amount: £52.0.0. per annum)

------------------------------------------------
was RIC policeman in Kevin st barracks in 1879 marriage record
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/d4fdf60001422

Offline Gatsby1960

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 January 14 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Richard and Mary Ann Maguire were my gt gt grandparents. He was from Meath originally and his father was Edward and his mother Anna. The family say that originally they were from Roscommon or Leitrim area.
There are lots and lots of Burbridge families in those counties in the early 1800s. There may be only a few now but Burbridge was a plentiful name before the famine
I doubt they are related to the Wicklow family though there is a daughter Kathleen. However I dont really know. Catherine or Kathleen (both were used interchangeably) was a very common name then

I got most of the info on them simply by googling Dublin records are online. There is a related family in the UK on ancestry

About Burbridge, Richard
y

7436 - Richard Burbridge

Served in

Pensioned on 20 Jul 1900

Was Kevin Street barracks not a DMP station?

Offline apricotnelli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 January 14 08:54 GMT (UK) »
The reply I sent quotes the garda museum records. I dont know whether he was DMP or RIC they did not say. The family said RIC.
My point was he was not related to the family on the query despite the postings by various people of the family and their address. His being a policeman was an aside it merely gave me where he was from and his marriage record gave me his fathers name

regards

Offline Gatsby1960

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 06 January 14 10:25 GMT (UK) »
The reply I sent quotes the garda museum records. I dont know whether he was DMP or RIC they did not say. The family said RIC.
My point was he was not related to the family on the query despite the postings by various people of the family and their address. His being a policeman was an aside it merely gave me where he was from and his marriage record gave me his fathers name

regards

I understand. However, I was replying to the OP in my post. BTW, RIC and DMP members were not allowed marry unless they had completed 7 years in the force. My own great grandfather joined the DMP in 1877 and he married in 1884. A 7 year itch? Lol.

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 January 14 13:15 GMT (UK) »
I started this so I had better reply!

First of all thanks to all who read and replied this thread.As far as I can make out CollSloan is talking about the same family as I am interested in.Some of the names etc. she mentioned rang a bell.

Looked at the census of 1901 and 1911 and think I have found the correct family.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Trinity/Plunkett_s_Court/1311294/

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/South_Dock/Queen_s_Terrace/77654/

Looks like they spelled it Burbidge not Burbridge.

Have found a likely marriage for her parents in Baltinglass in 1880 (Henry Burbidge marries Mary Anne Kelly) and a death of a Henry Burbidge (born c. 1854) in Dublin South in 1901.

Also found a couple of male children born to this couple in Athy reg. district(cant rem. which ones but 2 of the names on the census returns.
Will have another look at it tonight and post up what I have.
McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 January 14 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Ok, read through the thread again just now!

As far as I can see I was mistaken in my first post.I thought that the family name was Burbridge when in actual fact it seems to have been Burbidge.

The families I linked to in the census  earlier today are the correct ones (fingers crossed !)

In the 1911 return Mary Carney is listed as both living with her mother at house 16.1 Queens Terrace South Dock Dublin and with her husband at house 16.2 Queens Terrace South Dock Dublin.

The mother and children seem to have changed their place of birth from Kildare in 1901 to Dublin in 1911.
McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)

Offline Ianor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 April 22 20:56 BST (UK) »
Richard Burbridge (marriage 1879) was also my Great Great grandfather. Daughter Catherine is great grandmother, her son Joseph Kenny my grandfather.

Very interesting to hear about his police history from the garda museum records. Is there an online archive for these records?

Also interesting to hear that the family say that they were originally from the Roscommon Leitrim area.

Have you any information further back from Edward Burbridge (Richards father)?
Or any info on links to Roscommon/Leitrim?

Thanks

About Burbridge, Richard
y

7436 - Richard Burbridge

Served in

Pensioned on 20 Jul 1900

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 April 22 23:02 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Richard Burbridge (marriage 1879) was also my Great Great grandfather. Daughter Catherine is great grandmother, her son Joseph Kenny my grandfather.

Very interesting to hear about his police history from the garda museum records. Is there an online archive for these records?

7436 - Richard Burbridge

Here's his DMP record.
https://digital.ucd.ie/view-media/ucdlib:53467/canvas/ucdlib:53728

Dunsany townland
https://www.townlands.ie/meath/skreen/killeen/dunsany/
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4560335#map=13/53.5329/-6.5766

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Ianor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 April 22 10:44 BST (UK) »
That's fantastic  thank you.