Author Topic: WWI cavalry  (Read 3050 times)

Offline Peter Goodman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WWI cavalry
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 May 11 14:49 BST (UK) »
mmm45 - No I dont have the birth certificate for Hubert born in 1914 - I have the one for my father born in 1911 and he was definitely NOT a soldier then.   I do not think that he was NOT a professional soldier in that sense, but that he was conscripted.   My father enlisted voluntarily into the Guards in 1942 and I was told that he did so to avoid what happened to HIS father - that is if he enlisted voluntarily then he would have more choice in the regiment that he joined.
I also heard that his regiment were to be sent to Turkey but just before they went he fell and broke a leg and could not travel - the ship was apparently sunk en route to Turkey.  Again this may simply be a family myth - so I am not being much help I'm afraid.

Regards, Peter

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 May 11 15:23 BST (UK) »
hi all just did a google search on last british cavalry charge ww1 and on one of the links there is a question and answer the answer being that it was a sdn of the 7th dragoons that did the charge at leesen on 11 th nov 1918 at 10.50 ten minutes before the ceasefire .
as an aside peter i take it you are aware you can apply for your dads service record as next of kin ?!

regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 May 11 16:00 BST (UK) »
GS7452 Is looking like a prime candidate.He is definately a post 16 entry to war and a cavalryman.
Conscription Act came into law in 1916
Every part of jigsaw helps.Need to find someone whose records survive with similar numbers see if anything can be gleaned from them

6514s Service Record is on ancestry ive gone through
but the other guys records arent mixed in with it.
Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Peter Goodman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 May 11 23:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks t mo and mmm45 for your responses overnight ( my time!).  The only thing I can add at present is that Thomas Goodman was born on May 3rd 1881 in Pancras ( St Pancras?).  So assuming he joined up in say, 1916, he would have been 35 at the time.  I would have thought that this was quite old for a cavalryman?  Or was it the norm to take any able bodied person?  He was quite tall - said to be about 6 foot 2 or 3 inches.  It is possible as you say that he could be GS7452 but although I subscribe to Ancestry I have limited access to Military records.  Can you please advise me any records of this person to see if they tally at all.   It is possible also that the person that you said who was in the Army Service Corps Remounts Section could be linked - as again he was connected with horses by the sounds.

t mo - when you say that I can get service records did you mean of MY FATHER in WW2 or can I also apply in respect of my grandfather?  If so how do I go about this?  Would it be possible to write to the Dragoons or Hussars to see if we can tap into their records or have they delegated that responsibility now to National Archives?

It seems the war in Turkey continued after the end of the war in Europe.  I note that there was another cavalry charge over there ( maybe more than 1).  I dont think he ever got to turkey but his regiment may have done.
Thanks again for your input. Peter

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 May 11 23:34 BST (UK) »
Peter
Doubtful that the Hussars and Dragoons museums have any "other ranks" personal records.The Service records that survive are at the NA Kew and what survived the Blitz are on ancestry.
Ill have a look at records again tomorrow.
Remounts were usually manned by older soldiers but as ASC he isnt cavalry.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 May 11 23:38 BST (UK) »
hi peter
it,s your dads record you can get it will cost you £30 ( don,t know what that equates to in aus dollars ) and you would need a death certificate go to this site it tells you all about applying and you can download the forms as well , www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html  , as to your grandads service record they are all online at ancestry for ww1 that is what is left of them as up to 60%were destroyed in a bombing raid in 1942 so anyone who finds one is very lucky it is only the medal roll cards that survived hence why it can be a nightmare sometimes to find info on a soldier .
as to dragoons and hussars i meant to say earlier if you do a google search for hussars or dragoons regimental museums you should be able to find out if any info is available from them also it is worthwhile asking on these 2 sites as well 1914-1918 the long long trail -and the great war forum  it,s just pos they may be able to help as well you,ve nothing to lose and all to gain .
have you any pics of either your dad or grandad in uniform as it,s always good to see the old boys i feel and puts the posts in perspective if you have a face to a name .
well it,s our turn now for a bit of kip i think your just up and were off to bed , speak tomorrow peter have a good day
regards
trevor
ps i was writing this as Ady was posting so delete ref to museums
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk