Author Topic: 18th century man?! photo for dating, please!  (Read 6650 times)

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
18th century man?! photo for dating, please!
« on: Monday 16 May 11 17:49 BST (UK) »
this hopefully is photo of man born 1788 and wife born 1801.  regret I don't have access to original.  you can see it has square corners; and I am guessing from this and front-on formal pose that it is fairly early.  in terms of their clothing, if it helps, we know he was a teacher of caligraphy in 1851 & 1861 censuses but nothing known before that.  also, they lived in Wales and the Scottish Highlands (she spent most of her childhood & young adulthood in the latter) as well as England.  They married in 1832 in Lancs. 
A date for the photo would be much appreciated; and also, from the little info. I've been able to give about them, does anyone see anything inconsistent with this being a photo of this couple?  most grateful for all assistance. 
PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 18th century man?! photo for dating, please!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 May 11 17:57 BST (UK) »
sorry guys -- can't persuade photo to attach! :'( will have to go seek help from technical forum and hope to re-try soon!
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 May 11 18:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie  :)

Have a look here -

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,130922.0.html

good luck!

Judy
Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 May 11 19:32 BST (UK) »
thanks so much, Judy!  I will study all the info in this link with care.   I've a feeling this may take me some hours (I'm a bit of a dumbo with computers); but my photo and I WILL be back!

Celtic Annie

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 May 11 19:54 BST (UK) »
Here is Annie's lovely photo -

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 May 11 19:55 BST (UK) »
and the back -

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 May 11 20:04 BST (UK) »
Well, about the clothing there's not too much that's dateable...the lady seems to be wearing an apron which obscures the dress, but other things in the photo suggest a date of about 1870ish. The corners seem to be square, although most of them are cropped off, and there also seems to be a posing stand behind the man to keep his head still for the shot and they disappeared about 1870. The backstamp is an 1870s design.

The lady's skirt seems to be quite full, an 1860s style, and so are the sleeves, but older ladies didn't always keep up with fashion.

I'd say about 1870.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 May 11 20:43 BST (UK) »
I would go along with China on the date on this image as well as the information that she has given, the only thing that I would add is that the style, shape and size of the Lincoln & Bennett on the table would also fit in  with China's date period.

OR.
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 May 11 20:59 BST (UK) »
wow!  this is certainly later than I'd anticipated.  so if it is the couple I'm hoping, then in this photo he'd have been about 82 and she, about 69! have to say, they're wearing extremely well -- although I suppose it could be them! (I've not been able to establish dates of death for them, yet -- if I can, then that might prove it isn't).

Many thanks to all for giving up your time so generously to assist.