Author Topic: Baptism  (Read 5374 times)

Offline galajune

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptism
« on: Monday 16 May 11 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hello.
Where will I find my grandmother's baptism in Peel ?.
Also where can I find how long my gran & her family stayed at an address in Peel from 1895 to 1900?.

Why I'm asking now is because myself & my partner are camping in Peel & Laxey from 20th June to July, So I thought if I do get some answers from you kind people, then we have plenty of time to go where the answers are.

Thank you for your time :D

Best Regards,

galajune

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 09:20 BST (UK) »
You should check the Civil Registry at Deemsters Walk, Bucks Road, Douglas
www.gov.im/registries/general/civilregistry/welcome.xml

or

the microfilm copies at The Manx Museum
www.gov.im/mnh

Just remember that Peel comes under German parish!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline galajune

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 10:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your reply .

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 22:04 BST (UK) »
is it baptism or civil birth record you want - civil reg started 1877
For Civil Birth recs the Manx Museum has indices but you will need to get a certificate from General Registry - this will cost.
If it is the baptism then if in C of E the museum has film, if in methodist chapel then probably still with Methodists but ask at Museum - or if Roman Catholic then Museum might have these (depends on year) - advise getting bus into Douglas (Museum opens all days other than Sunday 10-5pm - Registry Mon-Fri but closes earlier)

Finding out where they stayed etc is not that easy apart from Census years - the 1901 census + all earlier ones are held by Museum (but not the 1911)
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline galajune

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi . Thanks for your reply ..it's a baptism as I already have the birth cert , my gran was born in Charles St, Peel 1895 and her brother was born 1892 in South Quay, Douglas. ( it's no longer there as I was told last March ).
So, There's no chance of finding out where the family were living after 1895 to 1900 ?.

Offline galajune

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 22:30 BST (UK) »
Where is the Museum ?,
I last visited IoM in 1956  :-[

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 22:41 BST (UK) »
Do you know where they were in 1901 ? - you might (just might) get an address from a newspaper entry of a birth etc - there was the Peel City Guardian in this period that might help - the new iMuseum (open Weds thru Sat) just down from Museum offers a search of the newspapers which are now digitised and searchable - however not sure if Peel City Guardian included but all papers still on microfilm at Museum - however it sounds as if they rented for which few if any records exist - if they owned property then much easier as all property transfers have to be officially noted  - can't recall just when the Museum records stop and you need ask at General Registry but it is c. 1900) but I think Charles street was mostly rented

Museum - up above St Thomas's - think of strand street (main shopping street) go right to end away from sea terminal then turn left and start climbing the steep hill (Crellin's hill) - if you look at the plan at www.manxnotebook.com/towns/douglas/windsorp.htm then the museum occupies the area shown as finchhill cottage - the Sefton hotel occupies the plaots named Marina house etc on the sea front - there is a carpark in Chester street (by side of shoprite) which has a lift to 8th floor and then a bridge across the road that save the steep climb.
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline galajune

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 23:36 BST (UK) »
Yes, I do know where they were in 1901...they were back in Blackburn. Lancashire, without my gran's father, we think he did a runner and he's nowhere to be founded...I did look up on Manx deaths and he's not there :(

They were in rented houses .

We interesting to visit the museum .

Thank you so much and you have been a great help  :)
 I will print all your messages and the map so I won't forget...I don't have a good memories , lol

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 08:06 BST (UK) »
Museum - up above St Thomas's - think of strand street (main shopping street) go right to end away from sea terminal then turn left and start climbing the steep hill (Crellin's hill)  - there is a carpark in Chester street (by side of shoprite) which has a lift to 8th floor and then a bridge across the road that save the steep climb.

As an ex-Manxie (well, OK! a comeover!!) I concur with Frances_mnb.

It is a VERY steep hill, so park in Chester Street car park if you have a car.
In any case take the lift to 8th floor - Museum is signposted in the car park!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)