Author Topic: Annie65115 Scavenger Hunt....Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 34587 times)

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
Annie65115 Scavenger Hunt....Everyone Welcome To Join In
« on: Tuesday 17 May 11 10:05 BST (UK) »

Welcome to this weeks Scavenger Hunt........ It's a bit complicated, so do make sure you read it through.

Good Luck and Good Hunting

Barbara

Looking for the origins of Ann Collingwood and her brother Henry in the late 18th century. Where were they from? I think the family was wealthy – where did the money come from? What’s the India connection? Any connection (other than Ann’s 2nd marriage) with the burgeoning textile industries of the Midlands?

Here’s what I know so far.

Ann Collingwood m Richard Clough 23.10.1793 at St Martin’s, Leicester.
Then Ann Clough, widow, married William Rawson, 17.7.1798, St Martin’s, Leicester.

William’s family were wealthy hosiers; he died in 1832 and left the bulk of his estate to Ann. Ann died in Leicester in 1837-38; she may have inherited from her own family as well as from her husband as her will mentions property and land in Leicester, Great Peatling, Peckleton, Desford, Gt Wigston, Matlock and the Disafforested Forest – the last is the only part of the estate separately mentioned in William’s will previously.

She appears to have had no children. The bulk of her estate went to her nephew, Henry Salkeld James Collingwood, who according to the will was the only child of her deceased brother Henry Collingwood. (I’ll call him HSJ). Other beneficiaries were Mary Ann and Eliza, the daughters of Thomas Allsop Winny late of London; her sister in law (Henry’s widow) Ann Stocks and Ann’s daughter Frances, of Wakefield. (Ann Frew/Collingwood m Samuel Stocks in Leicester in 1822 – were the Collingwoods from Leicester originally or was she just visiting her sister in law? And where do the Winnys fit in?)

This would appear to be Ann’s brother, Henry:
Henry Collingwood m Ann Frew August 1806, Cawnpore, Bengal
Then we have Henry Salkeld James Collingwood  born 18.1.1807, baptised 17.2.1807, Calcutta, Bengal

HSJ married Jane Ward in 1829 in Matlock (note Ann bequeathed Matlock property after this date). He was living at Ulley Hall, near Rotherham, at the time. HSJ’s oldest daughter was baptised Catherine Ann Rawson Collingwood in 1831 – any other Rawson links or just named after a generous aunt? Most of his subsequent children were baptised in Cromford (in the church opposite Arkwright’s mill) and the family is traceable in censuses in Matlock, then North Wales and the Birmingham area. HSJ’s name also turned up as a landowner on a tithe map for Desford in the 1840’s (possibly land inherited from his aunt?)

But I want to look backwards, to Ann and to HSJ’s father Henry – can anyone help unravel their background, as per my first paragraph? Many thanks!
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Re: Annie65115 Scavenger Hunt....Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hello folks!

Thanks for looking at this, I'll be interested to see if anyone can come up with anthing extra!

I'm at work and don't have my notes with me. I'll try to keep peeking in on the thread and answer any q's as soon as I can but may need to wair until this evening if I need my notes for any queries.

once again, thanks to anyone who has a bash at this!
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 10:36 BST (UK) »
I'll have a good look later, but as you realize because of Arkwright's Mill at Cromford the surrounding area was heavily involved in the textile industry in the late 1700's early 1800's.

I wonder if Henry was sourcing cotton in India?
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 10:43 BST (UK) »
Looks like the cotton was imported from India.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton

Arkwright gets a mention.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 11:05 BST (UK) »
Basically Cromford was Arkwright's mill and nothing else.

http://www.derbyshireuk.net/cromford.html

So Henry had to have a connection.

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 11:06 BST (UK) »
Just a couple of thoughts at the moment women didn’t really inherit from their family there husbands were expected to provide form them
It is likely she didn’t have children however the estate may have passed onto her nephew being the only male descendant at that time or the eldest to keep the property in the family.

If Henry was in the army the British army records in India are held at the British library in London it was encouraged for the British to marry Indians to prevent an Indian uprising.
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 11:12 BST (UK) »
There were several mills along the river at Cromford/Matlock (I have names of other millowners at home) -- Arkwright's was the first.

Of course, I don't actually know if Henry or HSJ had any connection with this line of trade. I don't know what the Matlock connection was (Ann owned property or land in Matlock which she left to HSJ - but how did she come to own it?) HSJ had the links to marry into a Matlock family but wasn't living there himself at the time of his marriage - but did his family come from there?

But it seems certain that the mills are where the money was made in the area - so far it's only been a leap of faith to suppose that there may have been a connection with the Collingwoods (plus Ann marrying a man involved in textile manufacture in leicester - I think many of these millowners in the midlands would have known each other, and the Rawsons worked a mill in Leicester in the 18th century)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 11:13 BST (UK) »
I haven't found any births for William and Ann Rawson; Ann did leave bequests to other women in her will (as per first post); William's will named umpteen neices and nephews but no children -- so I really think they were childless.
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 11:17 BST (UK) »
Henry COLLINGWOOD
Event type: Marriage
Start date: 09 Aug
Start year: 1806
End date:
 End year:
Spouse: Ann FREW
 Ord.Parents:
 Notes:
 Transcribed by: British LibraryIndia Office
 Records Reference:
N/1/7 f.210.
 Source name:
 Source year:
 Source edition:
Presidency: Bengal