Author Topic: William CABBLE of Somerton  (Read 3142 times)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
William CABBLE of Somerton
« on: Tuesday 17 May 11 10:49 BST (UK) »
I would like to request help for a possible marriage, and maybe some baptisms of their children:

Known facts:
1841 Census: HO 107/957 Longacker (?) Lane, Somerton, Somerset
William Cabble     30  Ag Lab  (later a farmer in Kirkston, Port Fairy, Victoria)
Mary Cabble        30
Ph(o)ebe Cable     8
Ann Cabble          7
Elizabeth Cabble   5              13 Oct 1857 missing in Victoria (request by Jane)
Jane Cabble         3               m. 1858 Chris Hereford Melbourne
James Cabble       1              d.   1907 Bendigo, Victoria
(I also suggest that there maybe (will be) a John Cabble c1842 m. 1872 Emily Whitton Victoria

Do we have a possible marriage to Mary (Hockey) c 1830; may have something to do with Bath?

This family emigrated to Port Phillip, Victoria 6 June 1849

William Cabble died 1875 in Victoria, and his death states that his parents were James Cabble and Sarah.

I am trying to link him with a brother called Benjamen (1805 Somerton); and maybe Thomas; and a Joseph of Somerton/ Keinton Maneville areas.

Keith
Aus
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline rutht22000

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William CABBLE of Somerton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith

William Cabble was christened on 30 July 1809, son of James and Sarah (at Somerton). James married Sarah Seymour on 20 October 1805 at Somerton.  I can't see a brother Benjamin yet, but there is a George christened at Somerton on 31 July 1809 (day after William)

There is also a record of a William Cabble marrying a Mary Hackey on 5 May 1833 at Somerton which would fit with Phoebe's birth and your Hockey query.

Christenings of William and Mary's children (at St Mary, Somerton):-

Phoebe 27 July 1833 (buried aged 8 on 21 July 1842 @ St Michael and All Angels, Somerton)
Anne 10 October 1834
Elizabeth 13 November 1835
Jane 22 October 1837
James 22 December 1839
Joseph 27 September 1841 (possibly buried 9 April 1842 @ St Michael and All Angels, Somerton)
Joseph 16 June 1845
Joseph 8 February 1847 (died 1921 at Port Fairy, Victoria)

no John as yet but there is a good gap between the two eldest Joseph's that could be where he was.   where did you get his connection from?

judging by the manifest from the trip to Australia there is a second Phoebe born about 1842 but I can't find her christening yet
Jeacock
Colebourne
Shepherd
Scotter
Sievers
Knowles
Pritchard
Lilley
Hart/Hertz
Woodmansey
Monnington
Thomas (South Wales)
John (South Wales)
Pearce (South Wales)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 23:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ruth for both your fantastic effort and your quick response.

Yes, I likewise thought that there was a second Phoebe.
I tried to load my Aust Vital Pioneer disks last night, but Windows 7 now doesn't seem to recognise them. Thus, I think that the record for John Cabble's marriage to Emily Jane Wilton was Victoria #1514. I have sent a message to the lady who had recorded that info.
I also see with a google search that others have been searching Benjamin Cabble on Rootschat.

Keith
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,

William and Mary's children were baptised at St Michael and All Angels, Somerton, not St Mary's.  I have transcribed Phoebe's baptism as 29.7.1833 but will check to see if it is 27.7.1833.  There is no John recorded c. 1842 at Somerton nor can I see another Phoebe.

William Cabble was born June 1806 (can't read the day) and baptised 25th July 1810 along with brother George at St Michael's both children of James Cabble and Sarah Seymour married as Ruth says, 20th Oct 1805.

There is a baptism of Benjamin Warwick Cabble at Keinton Mandeville 4 Mar 1840 also John 5 Aug 1834 sons of Benjamin and Catherine Cabble.  I cannot see a baptism for this Benjamin or his marriage yet but they may turn up on an online site in the future.

Hope this helps.

Elizabeth

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 May 11 01:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you Elizabeth for these baptisms.

I have come to a bit of a standstill as well. I will pass on your results to my cousin Andrea who descends from your latter record of Benjamin Warwick Cabble.

As to whether he is the son or nephew of James Cabble and Sarah Seymour (m. 20 Oct 1805) remains a mystery.

Thank you to all who have tried to help.

Keith

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 May 11 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,

Just to confirm the birthdate of William Cabble.  It is 1st June 1806 and that the date of Phoebe's baptism is definitely 29 July 1833.

If I come across Benjamin Cabble's baptism, I will contact you again.

Best wishes,
Elizabeth

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 May 11 15:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you Elizabeth.

Keith