Author Topic: Watson  (Read 65810 times)

Offline broadgate

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Watson
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 09 June 11 17:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all this info. The Canadians arrive Sunday.
The Hood story is that Alice worked at Chalk Villa's, but I don't know who lived there at the time, the story then goes on to say she eloped with a gentleman farmer.

The Canadian Watson story is that Alice was the nurse to Joseph Watsons wife until her death and then they both went off to Canada (we know that is not quite true). I notice she is not on any of the census for Low Gardham farm, though there is reference to two other persons at that farm who are nurses, so Alice could well have turned up at the farm for the employment of nurse after the 1901 census , but Lavinia is also not on that census due to being in the nursing home in Hull, so did Lavinia return for a sort while only then to be nursed by Alice and then again return to the nursing home. It must have been some sort of illness that required some sort of intensive care.
So not to sure how these two became acquainted in order to become lovers.

Broadgate.

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 09 June 11 17:35 BST (UK) »
The York Herald (York, England), Monday, July 18, 1887;
Beverley police court
Ellen Roberts a tramp pleaded guily to stealing a skirt from a hedge, the propery of Mrs Watson of Chalk Villa , and was sent to  prison  for one month.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 09 June 11 18:22 BST (UK) »

A little more on the family.

The Hull Packet and East Riding Times  Friday, February 5, 1847
Death
February 2nd after a long and protracted illness borne with Christian meekness and resignation Barry Wride second son of Joseph Watson , Kirk Ella Grange aged 19.

The Hull Packet and East Riding Times Friday, September 10, 1847
Death
Sept 8th of consumption after a long and painfull illness, Anna the wife of John Atkinson  of this town and the second daughter of Mr Joseph Watson , Kirk Ella Grange aged 28.

The Hull Packet and East Riding Times  Friday, April 9, 1852
Marriage
April 7th at Holy Trinity Church  Mr Edward Ingleby of Hull to Miss Ellen Watson daughter of the late William Watson Esq, Kirk Ella Grange.

Offline broadgate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 09 June 11 19:40 BST (UK) »
Wow, thanks for this info,  so the Watson s  did live at chalk villa. I wonder if Joseph Watson had two properties Chalk villa and Low Gardham Farm ?
So Alice Hood did work at Chalk Villa and this must have been where she encounted Joseph Watson with whom she eloped off to Canada with.

Broadgate

Offline broadgate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 09 June 11 19:53 BST (UK) »
I,ve just worked it out that when the skirt was stolen the property must have been owned by Joseph Watson the grandparents to Joseph Watson who eventually ran off to Canada so I now wonder if this property remained in the family until such time that Joseph the grandson either aquired it or another member of the Watson family/ this would then bear out the fact that Alice worked for the Watsons.

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 09 June 11 21:11 BST (UK) »
Chalk Villa, Beverley. This is all I can find so far.
Some of these are  not really linked to your thread, but might be of help in working out when the Watsons were there, and of some interest to someone.
Finding the right Watsons is more difficult, there are so many of them.

The Hull Packet Friday, February 27, 1835
Inquest at Beverley held at the house of Mr Wm Brown , the Chalk Villa Beverley, on the view of the body of George Merrit aged 15 who was found hanging in an outhouse adjoining the premises.
Deceased had made a prior attempt of a similer nature and the jury were of the opinion that it was not his intention to hang himself but merely to try the sensation  occasioned by hanging which unfortunatley proved a fatal experiment.

The Hull Packet and East Riding Times  Friday, May 25, 1849
On Monday as the foreman of Mr Ralph Dunning was at his work at Chalk Villa he fell into a lime kiln and injured himself severley, surgical aid was speedily prepared and he is in a fair state of recovery.

The Hull Packet and East Riding Times  Friday, October 19, 1849
Death.Oct 12 at Chalk Villa Beverley aged 55 very suddenly Mr Charles Symonds greatly respected by all who knew him.

The Leeds Mercury  Saturday, December 18, 1858;
Death. On Saturday last of cancer aged 33 at her uncle`s Thorpe le Williows, Ellen Swann eldest daughter of the late Deputy Commisioner General Brown , Chalk Villa Beverley.

The York Herald  Thursday, October 25, 1877;
Birth.
On 17th Sept at Chalk Villa Beverly , the wife of Joseph Goodfellow Esq of a son.

The Hull Packet and East Riding Times  Friday, May 1, 1885
Arhtur Pearce, engine driver Chalk Villa Beverley was charged with refusing to quit licensed premises .

The Yorkshire Herald, Tuesday, June 21, 1892
 Beverley.George Selburn of Chalk Villa summoned for riding a bicycle on a footpath after he ran over a little boy .

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 09 June 11 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hi
According to the census I found for the Watson's it wasn't until 1891 that the Watson's entered Low Gardham, Cherry Burton, now is this Chalk Villa where they lived??
 I have had another look at the original census info and the schedule there is 14 pages, the Watson's are on page
13 ...
the census starts at Page 1 No 1 Wold Farm, followed No 2 Furrows followed No 3 The Grange followed No dunken Hill...
page 10 the Primitive Methodist Chapel is No 68 on the Market Weighton Road..
then working from page 12  No 78 Market Weighton Road then to  No between 83/84 Manor House home of  Jackson - Farmer
then onto page 13 Manor House continued then No 84 Market Weighton Road home of Anderson - Farmer
then onto No 85 Low Gardham - Farmer home of Joseph Watson & wife Lavinia
followed by No 86 Low Gardham home of Piercy - Hind and lots of boarders/servants. -  this one is the last entry for Cherry Burton

From the above it should be easy for someone with local knowledge to work out which properties are still standing in respect of Low Gardham. Is No 85 Chalk Villa and could No 68 be cottages?? could this property be part of the Watson's??

b.
HALL     REEPHAM, HACKFORD, GUESTWICK, NFK
HALL     YORK, HOLME ON SPALDING MOOR, E. YKS
HALL     BELBY, Nr HOWDEN, E. YKS
HOUFE   YORK, RICCALL, THIRSK, DURHAM, LANCASHIRE
FEATHERSTONE     KNEDLINGTON, GILBERDYKE, E. YKS
CLAYTON   PATRINGTON, KEYINGHAM, STADDLETHORPE, E. YKS
CAWOOD   RAWCLIFFE, STADDLETHORPE
WALKER     HADDELSEY, EASTRINGTON, SHIPTONTHORPE, E. YKS
BEAN         STILLINGFLEET, ULLESKELF, KIRKBY WHARFE, YKS
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 09 June 11 21:45 BST (UK) »
Now can anyone find this person on this census... I have looked n looked, even tried looking through all the Hull census returns BUT I cannot find ST Jude !!!!!  :o   
I think this is the child Lavinia had either before or during her stay at the Nursing Home, but where was he staying ??

taken from familysearch.org, but I cannot find him on the 1901 census with these details

name:   Harold Watson
event:   Census
event date:   31 Mar 1901
relationship to head of household:   Visitor
birthplace:   Gardham, Yorkshire
record type:   Household
registration district:   Hull
sub-district:   Myton
ecclesiastical parish:   St Jude
civil parish:   Holy Trinity And St Mary
county:   Hull, Myton, Holy Trinity And St Mary, Yorkshire (East Riding)

bendywendy
HALL     REEPHAM, HACKFORD, GUESTWICK, NFK
HALL     YORK, HOLME ON SPALDING MOOR, E. YKS
HALL     BELBY, Nr HOWDEN, E. YKS
HOUFE   YORK, RICCALL, THIRSK, DURHAM, LANCASHIRE
FEATHERSTONE     KNEDLINGTON, GILBERDYKE, E. YKS
CLAYTON   PATRINGTON, KEYINGHAM, STADDLETHORPE, E. YKS
CAWOOD   RAWCLIFFE, STADDLETHORPE
WALKER     HADDELSEY, EASTRINGTON, SHIPTONTHORPE, E. YKS
BEAN         STILLINGFLEET, ULLESKELF, KIRKBY WHARFE, YKS
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline SteveJW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 09 June 11 22:40 BST (UK) »
Chalk Villa in Beverley, is about half a mile from Queensgate

Low Gardham is about five miles from, Beverley. If my memory is correct there are only about four cottages there. If I get out on the bike (bicycle) at the weekend I will take a picture

Will look at the census further

Little bit confused regarding Harold and familysearch.org

Harold is down as born at Gardham on 31st March 1901 (census day) this is in East Yorkshire, not Hull so would not be in the Hull registration district but would be Beverley. That would make St Judes wrong
Walford  Staffordshire,Yorkshire
Boyes     Beverley, Hull
Allison     Beverley, Hull
Bowser   East Yorkshire
Etherton Sussex