Author Topic: Murphys of Kilkenny  (Read 5598 times)

Offline MurphysLaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Grandad Ken
    • View Profile
Re: Murphys
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 May 11 12:25 BST (UK) »
yeah, i had already done that some time ago when originally searching - hence stumbling across his birth in Croydon.

Thanks though  :)
Murphys of Croydon, Surrey, England.
James Murphy b.1898 d.1927 - PHOTOGRAPHS

Offline MurphysLaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Grandad Ken
    • View Profile
Murphys of Kilkenny
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 11:19 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find my 5x grandparents who I believe came from Kilkenny...

James Murphy b. circa 1814
Honoria (variation of spellings!) Carty b. circa 1816.

As far as I know they were both born there but I need to find their parents. I have no documentation at all apart from the 1871 census that shows them living in Croydon and says born 'Ireland'.

I know together they had 2 children Johanna born in Ireland and Daniel b.somewhere between 1845 and 1853! who was born in Croydon, Surrey, England.

The children Married off - Daniel to a Sarah Elizabeth Dimmock and the Johanna married a Charles O'Brien (could be 'Baine'?)

I would really appreciate it if someone could have a look and see if they can dig around Irish records as I cant seem to get further back than James and Honoria and I dont know why... maybe im just silly but I find Irish records quite difficult to get hold of as I dont know where to look.

Thanks

Murf

Moderator Note : Merged with previous thread on the same family, to avoid further duplication

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Murphys of Kilkenny
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 11:21 BST (UK) »
Full civil registration did not start until 1864 so you would need to search for any available parish records for details of your Murphy family. To do this you would need to know the family religion and which parish the family lived in, so you can check if any records are available. Not many RC parishes have records before about 1830. Your search is complicated by the fact the Murphy is a very common surname in Ireland.

see :
 Introduction to Irish Records
 My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?   

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline MurphysLaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Grandad Ken
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 11:27 BST (UK) »
The family were RC - but i havet got a clue about the marriage...nor do i know what Parish they came form... does this mean i will never find them? :'(

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 11:32 BST (UK) »
You really need to know the location to do a proper search - otherwise you have no way of knowing if the parish they lived in has records back as far as you need for the baptisms or marriage.

Since you have both parents full names you could try searching for the baptisms Irish born children on the parish records included on the pay-website of the Irish Family History Foundation at www.rootsireland.ie to see if any of them are listed. If they are it might give you a clue as to where they family where at that time..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline jede

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 20 February 15 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi I too am researching these people...did you get any further in your search? Thanks.