Author Topic: Look up request - Prince, Ruabon  (Read 2519 times)

Offline alisoning

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up request - Prince, Ruabon
« on: Wednesday 18 May 11 14:46 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to track down the baptism of a Minnie Prince which should be between 1864 and 1866.  Her father was James Prince.  All her siblings were baptised in St Mary's Ruabon but Minnie seems to be absent from all records until she appears on the 1881 census as a servant in Manchester. 

I only know she is related to James Prince as her children William and Arthur Kemp are living with James Prince and his wife Jane in 1891.  I traced back and found her marriage to John Kemp in 1884, in which she names James as her father, but I wonder if she was illegitimately born to a different mother and hence had a different surname at baptism?

Any help or advice appreciated to solve my mystery!

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Look up request - Prince, Ruabon
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Alisoning

I know that Minnie as a first name is pretty common in its own right but if I have the correct family in 1871 they have daughter Amelia, therefore I am wondering whether she used the name Minnie as I am sure I have seen this before  - and to add the first name given to Minnie Driver the actress, was actually Amelia!

Regards

Z :)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 18:38 BST (UK) »
Well Z,its an interesting theory and it could well be true!There is an  interesting death of an Amelia Prince in the South Manchester Distict of Lancashire in 1937.Her birthyear is given as c 1865.By the way the placename that is attempted in the Census entries is Johnstown!

Regards
William Russell Jones.

Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alisoning

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 May 11 12:16 BST (UK) »
It hadn't occured to me that Minnie could be a derivative of Amelia.  Perhaps my mystery isn't so mysterious after all!  I shall investigate further...
Thanks, Ali

Offline Silversky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 May 14 20:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Alisoning - I am researching Minnie Prince, Amelia Prince, Deborah Prince, James Prince (father of these people) in Johnstown/Ruabon.  I am pretty sure Amelia is Emily Prince and married Edward Jones.  In the 1911 census Emily was a widow and her sister Deborah was with her at the time although the transcription for Deborah's surname was Price but the actual census is Prince.  Deborah was also on earlier censuses along with Amelia.  I am going to apply for the marriage certificate of Emily (Amelia!!) Prince very soon.  I too am intrigued about Minnie as she does not appear on the censuses with the rest of the family, but her children William and Arthur were staying with their grandparents James and Jane in 1891 in Ruabon.  The father, James was a blacksmith along with the rest of his siblings.  Emily in her youth, according to something handed down to me was known as Miss Prince of Ruabon.

Regards