Author Topic: Epsom Workhouse lookup - Elizabeth Dowsett c1911  (Read 4450 times)

Offline judysea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Epsom Workhouse lookup - Elizabeth Dowsett c1911
« on: Wednesday 18 May 11 16:29 BST (UK) »
I need help as I have become stuck. I am looking for the death of a Elizabeth Dowsett. She was born on 11th January 1882 in sub district of Clare in the Counties Essex & Suffolk. The registration district was Risbridge. Her parents where George and Frances Dowsett mothers maiden name Everitt. The majority of the family had moved to Essex by 1891 Sible Hedingham and Castle Hedingham.

I have found her in both the 1891 and 1901 census and then thought I had found her in the 1911 census, but living in Epsom Workhouse with two children, and then found her possible her death  in the workhouse infirmary in 1912 again in Epsom. Elizabeth is listed in the burial records in Epsom Cemetery. The 1911 census show the correct year of birth and where born as Stoke By Clare. But it does seem a bit of a mystery as to how she ended up in Epsom from Essex where she was in the 1901 census.

However my Uncle who resides in the USA, recalls having a copy of her death certificate (the record was destroyed in a recent house fire) and the death was circa 1906 in Moulsham, Chelmsford. I have been unable to verify this at all so far.

One fact I do have evidence of, was an Elizabeth Dowsett born in Stoke by Clare has a daughter Frances in Moulsham Chelmsford in 1903. this was my grandmother, who by 1911 was living with Elizabeth's parents in Essex.

Does anyone have access to the Workhouse records to see when Elizabeth entered the workhouse and any data recorded about her and any information re her death. The death certificate states TB as the cause of death. The 1911 census shows that she had two children with her - Alfred James born 1907 and Irene Maud born in c 1910. Additionally any information as to what happened to the children when she died. Ironically I have been able to trace a living relative of Alfred, she believes the daughter was sent to live in Essex with relatives and of Alfred her father, she knows nothing as he never spoke of it at all. Alfred traced his sister Irene in the 1940, and had some contact with her until her death they believe in the 1960's.

I would be so gratefull for any information.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Epsom Workhouse lookup - Elizabeth Dowsett c1911
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 16:40 BST (UK) »
See also http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,533275.0.html

I've put this link, Judy so that information isn't repeated.

Jan
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

Elizabeth Dowsett had two children registered in Epsom registration district. Their birth certificates would tell you whether their births took place in the workhouse (though by this date only workhouse addresses were given on birth certificates). Epsom workhouse address was Middle House, Dorking Road, Epsom.

Births Sep 1907   
DOWSETT  Alfred James     Epsom  2a 28   
Births Dec 1909 
DOWSETT  Irene Maud     Epsom  2a 20   
Dowsett  Irene Maud     Epsom  2a 23

As Alfred James Dowsett was born sometime in the September quarter of 1907, it would be tight time wise for the same woman to have a baby girl born in Moulsham Chelmsford in 1907. Do you mean 1903?

Births Mar 1903 
Dowsett  Frances     Chelmsford  4a 706

Surrey History Centre hold the records for Epsom workhouse, so anyone offering a lookup would have to look at the registers there.

Surrey History Centre, 130 Goldsworth Road, Woking, Surrey GU21 6ND. Holdings include Guardians' minutes (1836-1930); Admissions and discharges (1840-1932, with gaps); Births (1838-9, 1914-31); Deaths (1838-9, 1922-44); Creed registers (1881-1941); etc.

There doesn't appear to be an Elizabeth Dowsett death registration in Chelmsford civil registration district between 1901-1911.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline moono123

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 July 11 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hi I am new here - but searching for info on the Dowsett family for a friend of mine.

Willie J Dowsett (brother of Elizabeth) and his wife Elizabeth had a daughter Kathleen Emily Irene Dowsett.  It is this line I am trying to trace.  I can see Kathleen married in 1954 and Albert A  Maytham in Poole, Dorset and she died in Poole in 1992.

Does anyone have a family tree connection and know whether Kathlenn had any children??  This Kathleen would've been your grandmothers cousin.

Thanks for your help :)

Sharon